Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Jogging and breathing difficulty

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Doc tells me I'm just slightly over my BMI, so I'm trying to shed a few pounds and see how fit I can get.

Anyway, I've took up jogging, but I always hate anything cardiovascular as my breathing is crap and it makes me wheeze and cough.

Does anybody have any advice to combat this? How do you breath when jogging? is it normal to get pain in your lungs or have I screwed myself up with smoking?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Namaste wrote: »
    Doc tells me I'm just slightly over my BMI, so I'm trying to shed a few pounds and see how fit I can get.

Anyway, I've took up jogging, but I always hate anything cardiovascular as my breathing is crap and it makes me wheeze and cough.

Does anybody have any advice to combat this? How do you breath when jogging? is it normal to get pain in your lungs or have I screwed myself up with smoking?
    Treadmill for you. Much more control and you can wheeze in private.
    Pain in lungs when you start is normal. How are your knees? Any reason you picked jogging. I dunno how much you're doing or how much it's hurtin gbut an easy way to build up your stamina is to jog to your music, really slow, as slow as you can be but still jogging, then switch to walking, then back to jogging. If it's really hard, try jogging the verse then walking the chorus or whatever, til you build up to constant jogging around like a jogging person.
    katralla wrote: »
    Pain in lungs when you start is normal. How are your knees? Any reason you picked jogging. I dunno how much you're doing or how much it's hurtin gbut an easy way to build up your stamina is to jog to your music, really slow, as slow as you can be but still jogging, then switch to walking, then back to jogging. If it's really hard, try jogging the verse then walking the chorus or whatever, til you build up to constant jogging around like a jogging person.

I picked jogging because I'm a very active person. I walk usually at least an hour a day, but want to pick it up a bit and lose some off my tummy.

But am glad the pain and chest tightness is normal. My knees are Ok.
    Get good trainers and break them in. Tell the running shhop assistant that you plan to run on tarmac surface too. Though I should talk, my trainers are years, and I mean a disgusting amount of years old... ha ha. My knees are fine-ish, though I do have minor plica isses that flare up from time to time. Anyway, if you do get problems with your knees, have I mentioned this brilliant website all about knees www.kneeguru.co.uk ?