Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What's a good ISP?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can Anyone reccommend a good internet provider? South east region, free (obviously) and not engaged too often in peak times?

And who should i avoid? I heard Virgin had too many busy lines.

Post answers here - i'm sure others will be interested.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I use NTL, and I've never had any problems at all. However, I have heard that lots of other people have had trouble signing up.

Another ISP I use is Worldonline (ex screaming.net) You have to sign your phone account over to them. It has to be a BT line. You keep your BT number etc, they just lease the lines from BT & you pay the bills to them. Then, when you dial Worldonline, they don't charge you for the calls.

I haven't even been on X-stream recently because they are constantly engaged.

If your looking for free time then i would use freeserve-time which gives you 24/7 free calls to the internet for £10 per month but if your looking for a fast business type isp i would go for easynet but they do not offer free time,
    freeserve is ok but it is very slow and it doesn't work sometimes 5 out of 5 for this!!!!
    i have been using freeserve-time for about 4 months now and im on i all day and it is very fast and always works, maby your phone line is faulty??
    Your best bet, for cheapness and also good connection fast is really www.worldonline.co.uk You change telephone provider and pay an extra £5 per month for line rental but get free net calls and ISP 24/7. Very good connection and also good customer service. Also instead of paying the extra £5 per month you could pay normal charges and join FREEDOMLITE which gives you free net calls at off-peak times.

JENNIE
    Ive heard alot of bad things about Worldonline, plus if you change your telco to worldonline then you miss out on being able to use 3rd party services like freeserve-time or other telecom companies
    The Free Internet, Excite's brainchild. You pay £50 a year for 24/7, which is less than a months phone bill if you are a heavy user like me. A few drawbacks, no gameplaying, streaming and it has a 1hr cut off. Other than that you have a few engaged tones at weekend, but mostly connect first time.
    Just get on to NTL, if they are set up in your area, it's the dog's b-ll-cks !!
    I have tried several and NTL is WAY OUT in front at the moment. £10 per month (Direct Debit) gives you £10 of free phone calls and your Internet access is TOTALLY FREE 24/7.
    It's a good fast service plus your landline calls are 30% cheaper than BT. There is nothing better out there at the moment, unless someone knows something I don't ??