Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

friends, where everybody knows your name, cheers!

hello,

I don't want to sound like a complete loser, but i think i'm gonna. I've no friends.
Ones i use to know, have all disappeared for various reasons. So how do i get new ones??
Bearing in mind, i'm early/mid 20's!! So most people have their own cliques of friends?
I'm still at uni, but its last year, and i'm hardly in! I'm going INSANE sitting in this flaming house every week!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Try joining some clubs or societies doing things that interest you. You could also look at getting a part time job. The extra money would always be welcome but you can make friends with others who work there or customers.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Supermarkets are the key - you get a huge number of people of similar ages all working together, and there are often many social events.

Good luck :)
    andy001 wrote: »
    hello,

I don't want to sound like a complete loser, but i think i'm gonna. I've no friends.
    Ones i use to know, have all disappeared for various reasons. So how do i get new ones??
    Bearing in mind, i'm early/mid 20's!! So most people have their own cliques of friends?
    I'm still at uni, but its last year, and i'm hardly in! I'm going INSANE sitting in this flaming house every week!
    Aww, I'll be your friend <33
    No childhood friends that are still there? I've managed to keep the majority of my old friends and still make new one's at uni.
    Don't worry about it at all. Never actively go out to make friends - actively go out to meet people instead. What I mean by that is, people can see the desperation of someone who says "oh, please, PLEASE be my friend" from a mile off, and it's off-putting. You'll be alright in the end.

Personally, I've lost contact with all of my friends when I was a kid. Now that I'm 23, I think it was one of the best things ever to happen to me. I've "rekindled" contact with one since, but I'm not even remotely bothered about the rest. I've met people at various places since then. For example, in 2006 I started a job at what is effectively a mini super-market on a holiday park. A girl came up to me to ask a few questions about milk. Less than a month later, she was my girlfriend. Who could have seen that one coming?
    If you have time, a part time job where you have to undertake training is a great way of making new friends
    I'm sorting stuff out to be self employed, so part time job will just get in the way.
    I’m not desperate for friends, just in between girlfriends and it gets a bit lonely. lol.
    Most of the people I went to school with, I wouldn’t call them close friend material, I still know them though.
    not to worry, i'm not feeling as bad today. So everythings a little brighter. lol
    Cheers Ghost Girl, the thought means a lot.
    Join a student society, for example. Get involved with a society that does the kind a stuff you like to do. Could be a good idea to go for an "internal membership" and get involved in sorting out the arrangement for activities and so on.
    It's all about being pro-active, do you literally never go into uni?

What do you like doing? If you like football then go down to a pub when a game is on, you'll end up yapping to people from there.

Seriously, I'm the shyest boy you'll meet but twice now I've moved to new places without knowing a soul there and had to push myself to make new friends. These days I'm lucky enough to be spending my time with the best set of friends I'll meet, I know the cliquey thing can be quite intimidating but once they get to know you for who you are and give you the time od say then the rest takes care of itself.