Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Unclean! No Smoking in Films Please...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Some people clearly have nothing better to moan about

Clicky

You know, it doesn't even surprise me that such moronic spoutings are supported by a council either.

FFS why is it that the mantra in the UK seems to be one of regulating against others...?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Some people clearly have nothing better to moan about

Clicky

You know, it doesn't even surprise me that such moronic spoutings are supported by a council either.

FFS why is it that the mantra in the UK seems to be one of regulating against others...?

Type the word ...'smoking' ...as many times as you can ...before they ban that as well. 'smoking' 'smoking' 'smoking' 'smoking' 'smoking' 'smoking' 'smoking'
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    (mostly irrelevant)
    I wonder, if from now on the only people who were smoking in movies were the bad guys, would it help get rid of or at least lessen the phenomenon?
    A bit daft - there's hardly any film made before the 90's which doesn't have someone smoking. Guess Liverpool won't be showing any of the old classics anymore...
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    The international evidence...is that one in two children between 11 and 18 who witness smoking in movies actually experiment with - and therefore start - smoking themselves,"

What a load of crap.
    Weekender Offender 
    I don't think it ought to be banned, the industry is taking care of it on its own. It's very rare to see a lot of smoking in movies nowadays.

Besides, if drug usage or people drunk off their faces is acceptable in movies it's a bit daft to ban smoking.
    Jaloux wrote: »
    Besides, if drug usage or people drunk off their faces is acceptable in movies it's a bit daft to ban smoking.
    All references to drugs to be removed from popular music ...all references to crime sex ...thats where we are heading.
    Films portraying real life? Shocking...

Glancing through the comments section on the BBC, it does make me just a little bit happy that I cannot find one post that actually supports the idea (in a non-sarcy way). Maybe this might actually be good for smokers in that it will make people realise just how completely unfair, unwarranted and ultimately fascist the demonisation of smokers really is...

I hate it the way smoking has now become the whipping boy for the nation's ills.
    Skive wrote: »
    What a load of crap.

Someone needs a serious lesson in statistics and causation.
    Fucking hilarious. I'd love to see this amazing piece of "research." Maybe they should start showing kids films where people smoke a pipe, and see how many take that up. :rolleyes:
    I'd like to see it too. And how they can prove such a ridiculous claim.
    Another group of wankers who nobody listens to, I notice.
    What a sad world we live in.

There are plenty of guns in films, even in kiddie ones. No danger of banning those from appearing in films, I suppose... :rolleyes:
    A bit daft - there's hardly any film made before the 90's which doesn't have someone smoking. Guess Liverpool won't be showing any of the old classics anymore...

Not unless they re-rate Casblanca or Breakfast at Tiffanies as 18's lol.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Aladdin wrote: »
    There are plenty of guns in films, even in kiddie ones. No danger of banning those from appearing in films, I suppose... :rolleyes:
    Agreed, guns should come first in this case.
    wrote:
    The international evidence...is that one in two children between 11 and 18 who witness smoking in movies actually experiment with - and therefore start - smoking themselves,"

But does one cause the other, you might as well say one in two children who see Thomas the tank engine puff smoke might go onto smoke. There is a big difference between causation and correllation.
    ffs!!! put a fucking 18+ certificate on life then
    ffs!!! put a fucking 18+ certificate on life then

All the news shows have to go. Has anyone seen the amount of despicable shit that goes on in their reports?
    J wrote: »
    People like fiddling. It's like a painting you keep going back to to touch up. You have to be carefully not to ruin it. Really you should just stand back and admire the work.

It's not about fiddling really. It's about having your views forced onto others.

The "I don't like what you are doing, so I will campaign to have you stoped through law"... that's just wrong.
    It's not about fiddling really. It's about having your views forced onto others.

The "I don't like what you are doing, so I will campaign to have you stoped through law"... that's just wrong.
    Don't go down that road ...you'll have Kermit falling out with me again over the ciggy ban!
    Oh I can understand the ban, from a certain point of view and I think that it has a role. This is about censorship based on hatred rather than anything else.

But generally I mean, look around you. How many laws/by-laws are being enforced purely because it's something which annoys someone else... smoking ban, no drinking in high street, homeless moved on, ASBOs etc...
    Oh I can understand the ban, from a certain point of view and I think that it has a role. This is about censorship based on hatred rather than anything else.

But generally I mean, look around you. How many laws/by-laws are being enforced purely because it's something which annoys someone else... smoking ban, no drinking in high street, homeless moved on, ASBOs etc...
    When T Blair left office there was a piece in the paper that said something like 8,000 new laws had been enacted in his time in office ...i felt bewildered ...only way i can describe it.