Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Do I have a problem

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As far as I know I'm not the sort of person who is in denial so I thought I'd ask you guys about this.

Last year I had extreme back pain and was prescribed Solphadol (500mg paracetamol, 30mg co-codemol).

The back pain cleared up and I was left with these tablets.

I now take them sometimes twice a day, other times weeks go by. I take them because I like the mellow feeling I get. I don't get physical reactions if I don't them like you would with some drugs and I don't crave them if there aren't any around. I believe I am in control of them, although I know nothing about drug dependency so I'm willing to accept I could be wrong.

Do I have a drug problem?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi Quagmire; at the moment I would say not, because 1) you don't appear to be taking more than what a common therapeutic dosage would be and well within manufacturers directions 2) You appear not to crave them, you just like the slightly mellow feeling you get from them.

Opiates (like codeine) are nice - there's no getting away from that. Equally, you should carefully monitor your use to make sure it doesn't creep up on you. The dosage of Codeine you are on with those tablets is relatively small, but you could still develop something of a tolerance over time which could result in your use creeping up. Another danger from this is that you end up increasing the dose to get more codeine, but end up doing yourself harm by ingesting larger amounts of paracetamol, which would be bad news for your liver and stomach.

Just keep an eye on it I would say, if your use starts creeping above the manufacturers' guidelines then I would reconsider your position.
    If your use is causing you concern then perhaps its best you dont use them for a couple of weeks.

As Martin points out you are using them within the guidelines, and if used like that they are low risk. But there is no need to push the issue with opiates (get a taste for them).
    Cheers guys, I appreciate your words.

The kind of mellow feeling I get off them, does anyone know if it's the same (or similar) to that of cannabis?
    Cheers guys, I appreciate your words.

The kind of mellow feeling I get off them, does anyone know if it's the same (or similar) to that of cannabis?

No, they arent really very similar. Certainly some people find cannabis relaxing, but they work on different receptors in the brain.
    I'd say you don't have a problem yet but if you think you might have a problem and is causing you concern best to lay off for a while.
    Does anyone know how to prolong the euphoric feeling off these? For example does taking them on a full or empty stomach extend it?
    Glenn - you originally started this as a harm reduction question, and now you are asking how to prolong the euphoric effects of the tablets. If you have been using these tablets for the amount of time the range of posts indicates, you are getting into pattern of long term usage.

You are also asking about enhancing the effects (by prolonging), which indicates that what you are getting at the moment isn't quite doing it for you. You should watch your usage because this could quickly turn into a damaging usage pattern.
    Thanks for the reply! But allow me to clarify :)

I stopped using Solpadol around a month ago - I was coming to the end of the course when I originally posted this.

Over the last week or so I've been suffering from sciatica so I went to my doctor yesterday and he gave me another course along with some ibuprofen. I took the Solpadol last night at around 8pm and my head was swimming (in a pleasant way) for most of the evening and getting off to sleep was no problem.

I took them again this afternoon to very little effect and was wondering if there are factors which determine their potency. Yes I admit I enjoy the feeling however that's not just for self-indulgence - the effect they have on the pain is most welcome too.

From your other posts I think I can easily say your thoughts on such matters are to be respected, but surely if I was building up some sort of tolerance then it would creep up slowly as opposed to such a radical change like I experienced in the last 24 hours?
    Set and setting. Last night you were expecting it to be really good because you hadn't used it for a while and getting it again was a treat - therefore it was good.

This afternoon your expectations were more realistic and therefore your reaction was more realistic.

Everyone who uses a drug reacts like this on occasion.
    I took them again this afternoon to very little effect and was wondering if there are factors which determine their potency.

Ah ok; as you alluded to, this is not what I originally thought the question meant.

But to answer this side of the question, there ARE many things that can affect dose to dose; blood pressure for example. If you drank any alcohol while on them this would make a difference.

If you were already tired in the evening when you took them the first time, and then were quite awake the second time this could have had an effect. If you have a full stomach when you take tablets, this can affect how hard it hits you and how quick.

But no; your tolerance would not shoot up overnight.
    I could be wrong but i wouldn't have thought solpadol were actualy strong enough to get a buzz. Never take tablets on an empty stomach ...especialy pain killers ...unless it states on certain tablets to do that ...you can seriously mess your guts up.
    there are plenty of ways to potentiate codeine but most of them would be aimed at people using codeine for recreational purposes, unless you have a very low natural tolerance you're not gonna feel anything off that small of a dose anyway

so chances are you're wastin your time, but google 'codeine potentiators' if you wanna have a look!
    I could be wrong but i wouldn't have thought solpadol were actualy strong enough to get a buzz.

They very much are! Depends on the amount involved of course. from what I've read online it would seem 30 mg and above are enough to get you mellow and they certainly do for me.

thanks everyone for your advice - I'm off to buy some grapefruit juice :D
    Opiates even these relatively low end ones arent something to be getting too closely involved with.

Be careful and dont use regularly.
    The best and most easily available person to help you out with medical questions relating to pharmaceuticals will be your pharmacist. All pharmacies should provide some consultation, but if you can find a Lloyds Pharmacy they all provide consultation services on drugs that are used for medical reasons, and their effects.

Pharmacists are there to advise as well as dispense - it may be worth taking up this service the next time you go
    Yes, but I doubt a chemist is going to answer the question - how do I get high from this?
    No quite, but just because they don't get the answer they want doesn't mean it is the wrong answer
    They very much are! Depends on the amount involved of course. from what I've read online it would seem 30 mg and above are enough to get you mellow and they certainly do for me.

it all depends on the person, i doubt id feel much at all from anything under 200mg (extracted of course..), but if my ma was to take 2 of them it would blow the boots of her and she'd have to go to bed

same with diazepam, on its own i could take easily 100mg+ without much effect bar a bit of confusion (unless theres drink involved :crazyeyes ), yet i know people who can take 2mg pills and get effects!
    No quite, but just because they don't get the answer they want doesn't mean it is the wrong answer
    What you on tonight MB?
    I tried grapefruit juice as someone suggested and it did nothing - other than almost make me vomit :yuck:
    I tried grapefruit juice as someone suggested and it did nothing - other than almost make me vomit :yuck:

Smoked it ...bombed it ...snorted it ...? I've lost the thread i think.
    Heh heh, you forgot the other - drank it!

At least that's what I'm assuming you're supposed to do with grapefruit juice? Then again you never know with this forum...:D :chin:
    Heh heh, you forgot the other - drank it!

At least that's what I'm assuming you're supposed to do with grapefruit juice? Then again you never know with this forum...:D :chin:
    Sorry mate but my brain damage is showing i think ...what has drinking fruit juice got to do with anything?
    Someone linked to a site which suggested taking grapefruit juice with the tablets will increase the effectiveness of the mellow feeling.
    Someone linked to a site which suggested taking grapefruit juice with the tablets will increase the effectiveness of the mellow feeling.
    Amazing! It didn't work no?
    Bit like the smoking four hundred wieght of bananas will get you high thing?
    Smoking a boat can get you places i suppose ...just ignore me Glen ...i'm rambling ...and spittle is running down my chin.
    The only way i can avoid paying for last nights excess ...is to not come down till Sunday night ...i can handle it better on a Sunday.