Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

summer job

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I really need to do something this summer otherwise I will be sooo bored.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I could do or where to apply?

I'm a toughie because I'm so shy so bar work or a customer facing role would be really difficult for me. If I don't get paid work I'm just going to volunteer. I like volunteering but I must admit part of it is just so I don't have to do a formal job interview.

Comments

• Options
    Shop work? In large shops there are usually different departments and if you aren't on checkouts you don't usually have much to do with customers apart from pointing them in the direction of stuff, and thinking bad thoughts about them when they get in your way!
  • Options
    Couldn't you go to a recruitment agency to let them set you up with a job? They interview you there but it's very informal, because they just want to see what type of job you would be suitable for. Also, it would be very good for you confidence wise.
  • Options
    If you are going with a recruitment agency it's best to register with them in advance (ie, before all the student do the same) because by the time I did it last year, all the jobs had gone.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    Couldn't you go to a recruitment agency to let them set you up with a job? They interview you there but it's very informal, because they just want to see what type of job you would be suitable for. Also, it would be very good for you confidence wise.

This is a good idea. I've only ever been to one recruitment agency and I got saddled with factory work though. Do you get just general recruitment agencies? The office ones I have seen want you to have experience and I have very very little.

KHSS, isn't working in a supermarket or large shop really stressful?
  • Options
    Sometimes it is, but I find that it's only stressful if I'm in a bad mood already. Mostly I quite enjoy it because the people I work with are good and it's an easy job. The customers can be a pain, but all the staff feel the same and you can just have a good moan to them and it's fine.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Do you like kids? If so then start applying at kids summer schemes - so much fun!
  • Options
    Oh yes! Camp Beaumont is one that is good, some people on my course do that.
  • Options
    I might be sending my DD to camp beaumont this year now she's old enough. If you like kids I'm sure that would be loads of fun.
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    Do you like kids? If so then start applying at kids summer schemes - so much fun!

I think so. I mean I like acting like a kid and playing with them but I dunno if I can like..control one! It's a good idea tho, my boyfriend was going to ask his mum who works at a primary school whether there will be any jobs going during the summer. Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    lots of nuseries usually need help too, probably be a couple of days a week rather than full time depending on who's on holiday, how many kids there are etc. worth sending your CV and letter to them soon saying when you're available - i used to send them in around easter just to get in early.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    One summer when I was younger I worked at the local theme park running the rides. I loved it. I always thought workign with kids would be a nightmare. Turns out they're fine and it's the parents you have to watch out for.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I did stockroom work when I were a lad, meant I didn't need to deal with customers, and I could boss shopfloor staff about. Also meant I could go at 5 on the dot and didn't have to wait for them to all cash up. Got paid more too lol
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Skive wrote: »
    Turns out they're fine and it's the parents you have to watch out for.

So true :lol: