Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What would you do?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Last year, I picked up a bike near the end of her life, with the intention of running her til she dies - i dont need to worry about scratches or any newbie mistakes because she can be binned if needs be. Cost me £320. Then £150 to get her legal. But MOT time is coming round, and tax, and she will need work doing. On top of that, shes just broke her throttle assembly. Been scouring ebay but as with anything if I get a different model it might work, might not - but I'll be stuck with it if it doesn't.

So do I just give up and break her for parts, get a bit back if I'm lucky and then take a grand - grand and a half out of my savings and get a nice bike that will last me (but will still need a damned restriction, and the insurance will be more expensive), or spend the few hundred I anticipate getting her up to spec.

I do love her, it's not an issue of being fed up. I just don't know if it's going to be constant at her age, every few months going to have to replace something because she just cant cope. The allen bolt holding the throttle on is rusted through so I may have to get a mechanic to come and change it over, more money... sigh.

She did run well, and the engine still does - I knew I wasn't getting a perfect bike when I bought her.

What would you do?

Comments

• Options
    You have waded far across the river, so it is best continuing to the opposite bank than to wade back to near bank.
  • Options
    How much would it cost to refurbish the entire bike, ie new engine, brakes e.t.c.?

If the total cost is less, equal to getting a new bike, then i'd suggest you do that, if you're happy with the bike as a whole. A new bike will be just the same in a few years time.
  • Options
    But you LOVE her!
  • Options
    Well, I chose to replace my car with a new one. But really your situation is easier because it should be possible to tell if you're going to end up spending a grand on the bike in the next year. If you are, it's a no-brainer to get a replacement.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Unless you have the time and energy to do a lot of the work yourself new bike mate. I never minded paying for parts but paying outragous prices for labour fucks me off.
    Weekender Offender