Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

birmingham, liverpool or london!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
After I finish uni, I plan on getting a job to earn some money before i head off travelling next year some time (or even maybe the year later)

I know for certain that im not staying in cardiff (great city but not really any market for people who want media jobs) and im deeefinately not staying on the isle of man!!

at the moment im thinking of either liverpool, birmingham or london

liverpool - nice city, just a boat trip away from home when i feel homesick or whatnot

birmingham - kinda placed in the middle - again, nice city and i can see me getting a job there quite easily

ooor london - at the moment its my top fave, but then at the same time i know itll be harder to get a job a want aand houses generally can be more expensive.

basically, what im asking is - is there a city out of those 3 that anyone would particularly recommend? ive obviously never lived in one, and i have limited experience as to what the cities are like (bar a few shopping visits of course)
i know each city has its good and bad points - but for a graduating student which is best? ( alsonbearing in mind ill be moving there on my own and would like to become involved in a lot of social activities to meet people)

:)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I like all of those cities, although I have only spent a weekend in Liverpool.

Are you willing to house share, as in London on a graduate wage you'd pretty much have to.

There's lots going on in Birmingham and I think it's a good place to move to. It's not too expensive for everyday life either.
    Liverpool has great nightlife and shopping and definately cheaper than london but get to know which areas to avoid.
    I'd pick Birmingham, plenty of jobs and it's not London.. Bonus.

(I don't particularly like London lol)
    katchika wrote: »

Are you willing to house share, as in London on a graduate wage you'd pretty much have to.

money isnt a problem for me really - my dad has said he'll buy me an apartment and then ill get to hunt for 1-2 people to share with.
    ill stay there for 2 years or so until im getting a steady wage and settled and then gradually pay him back. (gradually being the word!!)

so house wise it wont be a problem. as for personal spending, that i have to deal with on my own (food expenditure, social stuff etc) and thats why london may be a bit of a no-go. tho i may just be completely naiive in thinking stuff like that is way more expensive in london :confused: im clueless
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Liverpool! Definately The people are friendly and there is always a good atmosphere. I wouldnt know about media jobs though tbh.

But I vote Liverpool! woooo!
    i'd go for liverpool too. although why im guessing you'll be applying for jobs soon-ish so why not apply for some in all 3 and see what happens?
    If your dad is willing to shell out for an apartment for you, pick London every time. Housing is the single biggest cost of living anywhere, and it's multiplied a good couple of times if you're in London.

London has far more opportunity than anywhere else, simply due to it's size, and of course it being the Capital.

Other living costs in London are not really that much more than any of the other major cities now. Sure, a little bit more expensive, but then, you will find something to cater for every budget. It's always the rent/mortgage that is the killer. Oh, and make sure you ask some questions about the prospective areas you may end up living in. Good to have a bit of knowledge about that :) It's a frickin' big place, and you could end up with a commute of upwards of an hour if you get it wrong.

Not a single other city in the UK that I want to live in, now I've been in London 6 years. All just small fry.
    Newcastle.
    I always feel a bit awed by London. I don't know if it's somewhere I could see myself living, maybe if I could afford it I would feel differently :) I love going and just looking around, like in the bit where the Gherkin is and looking up at all the buildings.

There are probably loads more opportunities in London job wise than Liverpool or Birmingham. Besides everything Mattliverpool has written about Liverpool puts me off ever going there!
    I always feel a bit awed by London. I don't know if it's somewhere I could see myself living, maybe if I could afford it I would feel differently :) I love going and just looking around, like in the bit where the Gherkin is and looking up at all the buildings.

It can be a bit like that when you first get here, then you realise it's just a City, and you're fine. It's just a bit (lot) bigger, that's all :)
    Personally I'd aim for London, bur Liverpool is fucking wicked it has to be said.
    Amazing nightlife and generally friendly people. That said I do love northerners.
    g_angel wrote: »
    It can be a bit like that when you first get here, then you realise it's just a City, and you're fine. It's just a bit (lot) bigger, that's all :)
    I like it :) It's a nice feeling of awe, rather than a scary one! It's great for photographs as well.
    oooh good point. manchester is actually one place i forgot to mention that IS an option.

i cant say ive ever been there apart from to the airport so i have noo idea what its like. i have a few friends who go to uni there tho and they say its cracking :)
    Cardiff has media jobs! You might want to look at Bristol as well, though, as I think it has the biggest media industry outside of London.
    I would say London while you have the opportunity, because there is just so much to see and do there, and however much people moan about the tube etc. there is always public transport at any time of the night or day if you need it.

I just love how lively a city it is and how you always discover new things that you never came across before. I don't live there but I study there and I think if your dad is offering to buy somewhere for you then you should go for it just for the experience of living in the capital, even if it is only a couple of years.
    I reckon you just apply for jobs at all 3 locations and see what you get because media is hard to get into.