Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Cost of driving lessons

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Really? I havent had any lessons yet and I was hoping to take my test in the summer.
    40 hours is the recommended amount by the DSA.
    My OH only have I think about 20 or so lessons, but he was a cocky git an could drive before hand. I paid £16 an hour because I knew the bloke, I think normally its about £18 - £20
    Erk :crazyeyes

I obviously got a really good deal then! I did live in the middle of nowhere on top of a cumbrian fell - he was the only driving instructor around for miles and everyone learnt with him :)

:eek:

Wow!

That will barely keep a car running for an hour, these days. :lol:

He must've been effectively earning about £1 an hour, if you assume he was paying for his car on finance or something!

Crazy!
    i'm currently paying £17 an hour with my instructor and my brother is paying likewise with his (different S.O.M.s)
    I bought in block lessons and got student discount on top of that so it worked out about 14quid a lesson. Spend over a grand learning cos couldn't practice in another car and failed my first test. Also failed my first theory cos the computer accused me of cheating :mad: (I wasn't, there was just lots of sheep and in my opinion they were all hazards!) Prob had about 35-40 hours in total.
    I don't think he needed the money that much to be honest. He was more like a community service - my mum, my brother and my sister all learnt with him as well.

I miss being part of that.

Yeah, you certainly don't get that happening in cities... Bit of a shame really.

My dad lives in a tiny village on the east coast near Hornsea. It's lovely... for a bit ;) I do like the community spirit though.
    I passed in January. I was learning with the AA, who charge £24 an hour in my area, but my instructor used to charge me £20 an hour... I was with him a while, and I think he got fed up of having to work out the change as I used to have 90 minute lessons :razz:
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Mine were £15 per hour but that was 6 years ago now, but it was with a very nice lady instructor.