Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Changing Spelling of my name

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

Basically my mum registered my birth with one spelling, then when I was about 2 or 3 she read a book with another spelling in. So since then she has used my other spelling, for schools etc. The only problem is that my ID is with the origional spelling, and when I applied to the police they rejected me because my certificates for all my qualifications were in a different spelling. So I was wondering could I legally change my name to this spelling? I have looked online and it says about deed poll, however there are lots of different sites with different prices and whilst I want the best price I dont want to be ripped off and it not a formal document etc. Does anyone have any experience of this? Thanks

Emz

Comments

• Options
    A guy mate of mine changed his middle name by deed poll online, I'll ask him when he's online which website he used.
  • Options
    Legally you can use whatever name you like, you don't need a deed poll to make it official, just start using the new spelling. :-)
  • Options
    i do use the new spelling, the only trouble is my passport etc is with the old spelling, an this causes problems with jobs as my exam results etc are with my new spelling, not how it is spelt on my birth certificate.