Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Criminal Injury Compensation

SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
Bassically got stabbed several times in a fight last year with either a broken bottle or a small blade and spent a couple of day in the hospital. It's left some scars on my leg, my arse, my back and my stomach.
More importantly it left me with pain down the inside of my left leg for weeks afterwards. Although it doesn't hurt anymore, there still a numb sensation.

I was at the docs the other day for something else and mentioned this before I left. He reckoned it's nerve damage where I got stuck in the back and will probably never fully go away.

Now these two cunts are in Crown soon to enter a plea for a varios assualt charges. I wasn't arrested or charged with doing anything wrong as it was an unprovoked attack and I cme to the aid of my mate who was having his head stamped on. although one of them also spent some time in hospital that night.

Am I right in thinking you can't make a claim for criminal injury until after any trails? Do I have to do more to make it aware to a doctor that I have this problem? How much do you think I could get? Will the fact that I have spent criminal conviction for violence affect it?

Any hep with these questions from somebody who knows about this stuff would be good.
Weekender Offender 

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've attached a pdf file explaining the scheme and a pdf application form. I don't have a great deal of knowledge but I've quickly looked it up at work using the exact same system a CAB adviser would use.

The person does not need to convicted or caught to make an application so it would be worth making an application as soon as possible. The attached pdf leaflet explains how to make an application.

The two things you'll need to watch out for are that they won't pay out if the award is for less than £1,000 and they can reduce your award if you are "not of good character", i.e. you have a previous unspent conviction, even if it is for an unrelated matter. There's a set list of injuries which attract set awards of compensation and if the injury isn't worth £1000 they won't pay out. The maximum award is £250,000. They will only pay out for reduced earnings after the 28th week your earnings have been reduced.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Cheers mate. Very helpful.

It seems I will have to wait for them to decide on any aplication until the trial (if there is one) is over.

And it seem that they ignore spent convictions.:yippe:

Got to be at least a grand for scarring and permament nerve damage.
    Weekender Offender 
    If the bloke who battered you has a bit of cash you might want to think about making a civil claim for damages as you'd get more.
    Kermit wrote: »
    If the bloke who battered you has a bit of cash you might want to think about making a civil claim for damages as you'd get more.

I was thinking that too. Stabbing somebody is a bit beyond what you'd normally expect in a scuffle...!!
    Best of luck getting some compensation Skive! Can't imagine being bottled / knifed in the street :nervous:

Are you allowed to do both? (Just out of interest)
    Skive wrote: »
    Cheers mate. Very helpful.

It seems I will have to wait for them to decide on any aplication until the trial (if there is one) is over.

And it seem that they ignore spent convictions.:yippe:

Got to be at least a grand for scarring and permament nerve damage.
    my mate had 3 just for whip lash. :yes:
    i got 5 for a fractured face last year :D

the way compensation works over here is a joke, like the rest of the country!
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit

I've been thinking about this. How would you go about it?
    Weekender Offender 
    You'll need to get proper advice from a personal injury solicitor. Don't bother with the charlatans who are on the telly, try and find one near you.

Community Legal Advice have a search facility or you can ask the Solicitor's Regulation Authority.
    z- wrote: »
    i got 5 for a fractured face last year :D

the way compensation works over here is a joke, like the rest of the country!
    I'm 2 years into my comp claim. The medical I've just had was a joke. He basically called me a liar! My solicitor's pretty crap too, he can't put a decent letter together without spelling mistakes and grammatical errors.
    I'm 2 years into my comp claim. The medical I've just had was a joke. He basically called me a liar! My solicitor's pretty crap too, he can't put a decent letter together without spelling mistakes and grammatical errors.

i think it depends on the claim, i have a PI claim in at the moment for injuries caused by a car accident, only been going 6months and had all the medical and all that already, so hpoefully it'll be finished soon. depends on the 3rd party and all that.

the doctor were crap tho, he was making it up as he went along but ACUTE this and ACUTE that.

guess its good for him tho
    i think it depends on the claim, i have a PI claim in at the moment for injuries caused by a car accident, only been going 6months and had all the medical and all that already, so hpoefully it'll be finished soon. depends on the 3rd party and all that.

the doctor were crap tho, he was making it up as he went along but ACUTE this and ACUTE that.

guess its good for him tho
    I was just like you at the 6 month point (car accident here too) - had a really good medical, and thought it'd be sorted, but nope. Ended up having to wait for my injuries to heal (or not, as is my case 2 yrs later) and my 2nd medical was a nightmare which I'm now contesting. Now I'm waiting for my 3rd medical to be arranged.
    My mum's claim was all done and dusted after a couple of months but mine and my sister's has been dragging on for 2 years. It's a nightmare.
    it helps to play it a fair bit, generally where compensation is concerned they'll try their best to give you the least amount possible, so the obvious thing to do is push it and play it as much as ya can to get it bumped up

of course most people wouldn't agree but sure ;)