Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Tax Rebates

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I started a part time job in November 07, and as they've been taking tax off me since then (unnecessarily, I might add!) I'm being sent a P46 to fill in and send back. I know that payroll then send it to the tax office to inform them of my rebate, but how long generally does it take? Will it take ages to get my rebate, or are they quite quick with this sort of thing? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    Hello, well having just written an article on this I can say confidently that a repayment should come back within two weeks :-)

Claiming tax back
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oh cool, I'll read that as I'm due a tax rebate myself, cheers.
    Pearly wrote: »
    Hello, well having just written an article on this I can say confidently that a repayment should come back within two weeks :-)

Claiming tax back

I wouldn't be so confident myself ;)

It all depends on the individual - it's not always as straightforward as sending in a P46 and then getting a rebate. If the tax office gets your P46and can see there are no gaps in your employment history, then a cumulative tax code can be issued which will enable the payroll dept to refund overpaid in year tax via your wages. If there are large gaps then further investigations will have to be done and this can take months. HMRC aim to turn round post within 15 days of receipt but they can take up to 40.

Ilora - what were you doing pre Nov 07? I would expect a P91 form in the post from HMRC to complete, especially if you were not working or being a full time non working student.
    I was at university from Sept - Nov. Then before that I did a year at college. I have about 2 years previous to that of unemployment / Job Seekers..
    What's the process like for claiming tax back by phoning up your local tax office ? Can they sort everything they need out over the phone ?
    I wouldn't be so confident myself ;)

Err no me neither ;)

Trouble is your so close to the end of the tax year, its unlikely you're gonna get it back through your wages
  • PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    It all depends on the individual
    Yes exactly, which is why it 'should' come back, but that is only if everything is straightforward. The article explains more about if the tax office needs to write to your employer and so on, which will therefore mean it will take longer to get your money back unfortunately!
    i've been waiting over a year for a student loan rebate, so I wouldn't hold your breath. The government are lightning fast when it comes to taking your money, as for giving it back.....
    u have to nag nag to get it back