Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Where's my dosh gone!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Fucking hell.

My debit card got refused from the cash machine in Sainsburys. So I called HSBC to find out what they are playing at (I knew there was plenty money in there)

Turns out someone has drawn out over £1k in Casablanca (i don't even know where the fuck it is) and Madrid. HSBC canceled my card when they realised I was in Newcastle at the same time.

Cant believe it. They are drawing it out of a cash machine, so they must have my pin number, but nobody knows my PIN, ( not even me most the time) :D

Will i get the money back ?

I don't know if this is related but yesterday I got a call from 08007838422, I didn't answer so they left a message, saying they were HSBC. They sounded a bit dodgie, HSBC never usually call from an 0800 number, and if they do they withhold the number. They said for me to call them back on another number, which I never did.

I googled the number 08007838422, which others people have received calls claiming to be HSBC there is nothing official to say this is a HSBC number. I dont wanna call the number incase I make things worse.

Anyway, now im skint :mad:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    if you give me your card number and pin number i'll have a look into it for you

thanks
    on a more serious note, gutted. identity fraud is a bitch, hopefully the bank will credit you while they investigate, not had experience myself, but im sure someone will be along shortly with better advice.

unlucky pal, hope you get it sorted ASAP.
    if you give me your card number and pin number i'll have a look into it for you

thanks

:lol:

I thought you were serious there. Thought you might have worked for HSBC or something.
    Casablanca is in Morocco ;)

Well a similar thing happened to me. Had some dodgy answerphone messages from HSBC and ignored them, then tried to use my credit card and it was declined. Phoned up a different HSBC number and ended up getting put through to the person that had left the dodgy sounding messages, they explained that they suspected fraud and I agreed and said I couldn't have bought those things. That was the end of that fortunately.

I don't think it's as simple with debit cards, as with the credit card the money spent was technically the bank's money and this leads to more consumer protection. Best of luck though mate.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Random money has come out of my account too but on Direct Debits. I've had to go in today to get it sorted.
    If you phone HSBC and give them the phone number, they can tell you if the number is one of theres or not. I've had to do this before :yes:
    It could well have been HSBC ringing to tell you about the fraud.

I had a similar problem with NatWest recently, they try to call/text but because the fraud is so good it sounds like it could well be that, turns out it was genuine.

Anyway you can go into a branch? That's usually the easiest way to sort these things out and that way you know it's genuine.

Do you know if the money has actually gone from your account? Or did they suspect fraud so cancel the card? Has happened to both me and my mum since Christmas where they've had what seemed to be a fraudulent attempt to withdraw the money, so they've stopped the transaction and the card. It does mean that unless you get the phonecall/message from them, the first you tend to know is when the card is declined, but works out that the only problem is having to wait a few days for the new card to come through.
    It could well have been HSBC ringing to tell you about the fraud.

Looking on Moneysavingexpert.com, it seems it was a HSBC number. It was HSBC's fault though, they shouldn't have picked someone who sounded so shifty to call me. :D

The money has already gone from my account, which is a bit of a pisser as I need that money for a bond and rent on a property. My cards have been canceled now, so I'm cash poor until my new card arrives.
    Sounds like you need to go into the branch, I know I got the money that went from mine fraudulently back, but don't know if that happens every time. Probably needs reporting to the police too, but the branch will tell you what you need to do.
    I was a victim of bank fraud at Christmas 2007. Someone used a Euro ATM to withdraw ?300 which came up on my statement as approx £225. I didn't have to prove that I wasn't abroad at the time, although I haven't been abroad for 5 years now!. The main thing is that you report it as soon as you see it on your statement.

I'm with A & L (Alliance & Leicester).

1. They reimbursed the money in 2 working days, even the ATM charges, which was a nice surprise.
    2. A letter arrived in the post - just a simple form asking for signiture to allow the bank to work with the police on my case.
    3. My new 'plastic' arrived 7 working days later, add more days due to it being the Christmas period.
    Just because the phone number shown is your bank's number DOESN'T mean it's your bank calling you. It's really easy to put any number you like there, if you have the right kind of telephone connection.
    Righht ok so I work for Lloyds TSB so firstly, you will get your money back. All banks have a legal responsibilty to protect you from fraud, as its been conducted abroad it may take slightly longer to process but will probably also go in your favour as its more likely that you have not made the transaction yourself.
    In my experience (not talking for HSBC) if its a large amount of money they will credit your account in a few days then carry on with the investigation. As its cashpoint fraud it needs to be dealt with via the branch usually as they have contacts with all cashpoints/world wide banks and usually look at CCTV. With regards to that number, don't phone it! Basically if HSBC have a known telephone banking service give that a call. - Just looked it up for you 08457 404 404, call them, have all your details to hand, (they will ask you some security questions) explain whats happened and they should be trained to tell you what the next best steps are.
    If its not your fault then they should refund all the money ASAP. You are covered by law unless you have given out your details.
    Sounds like you need to go into the branch, I know I got the money that went from mine fraudulently back, but don't know if that happens every time. Probably needs reporting to the police too, but the branch will tell you what you need to do.

police dont handle bank fraud anymore, the banks act as a police force and if they feel its necessary can refer it on. dodgy, no?
    I dunno, I know mine was reported to the police via the the bank, had to sign a couple of forms for it.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Sorry to hear that's happened, and I hope you get it all back, but I just have to reply to the following with something that I'm sure banks tell you when you're given any kind of card, and that might prevent such things in the future (and for all I know, could have prevented this one too):
    Calvin wrote: »
    :lol:

I thought you were serious there. Thought you might have worked for HSBC or something.
    No one, not even the bank itself, will ever ask you for your pin.
    Sorry to hear that's happened, and I hope you get it all back, but I just have to reply to the following with something that I'm sure banks tell you when you're given any kind of card, and that might prevent such things in the future (and for all I know, could have prevented this one too):

No one, not even the bank itself, will ever ask you for your pin.

That's not strictly too :p a fraudster would be more than happy to lol
    Sorry to hear you are in this situation... I know what it feels like!

A few weeks ago I checked my banking online - the day before £1000 had been taken out with the payee being 'London Council - E1' or something similar...

I don't live in London and I certainly hadn't spend a grand on anything recently so I called up HSBC - they cancelled my card immediately and escalated the situation to their fraud squad.

The next couple of weeks was spent signing a form approving them to talk to 3rd parties regarding the charge (council, police if need be etc) and a number of phone calls with me requesting updates.

In my situation it actually turned out that it had been the London Council E1 and not some fraudster. Obviously someone entered in their details wrong and it was moi that got whacked with it! They have since refunded the money and I will get any charges refunded too...

Shows how important it is to keep a constant eye on your account!
    Well, apparently there have been instances of peoples' pin numbers being kept as a record by certain banks (won't name them), then these have been passed on.

For your money to have been stolen via an ATM, your card must have been skimmed (to get the electronic details from the strip) and your pin number monitored, so if i was you, i'd be looking at places i use my card. I know some places - in particular petrol stations (again, no names) - employees were making an imprint of the card and observing pin numbers and were swiping the card in a separate machine to get the details.

With regard to a bill payment being made out of your account - this will have been done by ebanking. A Keylogger/trojan will have picked up all your details from your computer when you have logged on, then these are fed back to the people who created the programme, then they can access your account. If i was you, i'd scan my computer right now for virus and spyware.

Did you use to work for an ebanking security team? who me?:yes: lol

BTW, both of you will get your money back :hyper: