Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

what's a good way of saying...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Chapter 1 examines this, / in chapter 1 ___ will be examined in more detail

chapter 2 discusses...

.. if u get me?!!
im writing my dissertation, and while (at the moment) its going okish - veery slowly tho - im having trouble with finishing off the introduction in a way that is more 'sophisticated' than the examples that ive written above.

im doing it very randomly and writing down paragraphs as i think of them, which is fine. but i really at least want to get the intro DONE so i dont have to think about messing round with it anymore.

does anyone have any suggestions? just the initial starting sentence and/or the ending of it (and ill obviously add the specific bit in the middle

im really stuck :chin:
thanks

(apologies if this doesnt make much sense easily!! i obviously have a problem with wording things well :rolleyes: )
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    suggestion that may not be useful:

To outline the issues surrounding ______, Chapter 1 will discuss / define / examine ______ in more detail relating to ______

Although I doubt you'll get marked down significantly for it (but what do I know - at least here the grammar & spelling is only 4% of marks, unless you're a non native english speaker you get extra credits :(), but I have read essays before that have done their introduction as:

First _____ will be defined to set the context, then ______ will be described, next ____ and its implications to _____ will be discussed, then ______ and issues surrounding this will be examined.... and so on. Makes it sound a bit like a monotonous list. Although we got advised not to, I try to write it slightly journalistically - look at journal articles and their introduction. They successfully describe what they're talking about (most of the time), but do it in a nice easy to read way rather than a prescribed way a bit like a cooking recipe :p.
    thankyou shyboy!! thats very very helpful, thanks :yes: havent really thought about looking at journals (theyre not really relevant for the question im doing) but ill take a gander.

how do these sound anyway? (i realise they probably sound pants, but any input is appreciated! im alone in the house until sunday so i dont really have anyone to proof read it and give suggestions)

In order to explore whether Tim Burton could be called a gothic film-maker, chapter one establishes the notion of gothic film. It gives a brief insight into how the gothic style has evolved in aesthetics as well as literature (I.E. Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein), and in addition, refers to its form and when the style originated.

To outline the issues surrounding Tim Burton as a director, Chapter two will discuss and examine just what it is that composes Burton’s visionary gothic style in more detail. Particular attention will be focused on his upbringing, what it is that influenced him as a child, as well as examining the characteristic Burtonesque traits that can be found in the majority of his films.

Outlining whether or not Burton can be described as a Gothic Director, Chapter Three examines Burton’s film-making career since he began in 1971. Particular attention will be centred on three of his films, namely Edward Scissorhands (1990), Sleepy Hollow (1999) and Big Fish (2003).

i think the 3rd one is rather.. rubbish :p and i need to add to it that im going to emphasize how 2 of them have lots of gothic attributes and the other (big fish) doesnt as much. but im having trouble phrasing it. hmm .
    god everything goes so slowly for me :p it takes me like half an hour to come up with 100 words!!
    Sounds a bit silly but I'd advise leaving the intro to the end..... you know what you're introducing then. If anything work on methodology, literature review and certain sub-chapters within the body of the text. When you've done them all and the conclusion... put em all together and then you'll know what you're introducing.
    Sounds a bit silly but I'd advise leaving the intro to the end..... you know what you're introducing then. If anything work on methodology, literature review and certain sub-chapters within the body of the text. When you've done them all and the conclusion... put em all together and then you'll know what you're introducing.

That's what my dissertation supervisor advised me to do when I wrote mine.

That's good advice, it's what I did for mine.
    Also, in the department where I did mine they had lots of previous years dissertations that we could read, it might be helpful to see some good (and bad) examples.

Is this for like an abstract or a longer introduction? How many words are you thinking of for this? I had an abstract (approx 200 - 250 words) and then an introductory chapter (about 1,500 words).
    bit off topic but is mary shelley's frankenstein any good? i have to read it next and have only really heard bad things

ok thanks :yes: ill leave what ive done for now then and focus on the main body of text instead and go back to the intro later :)
    i always find the intro and conclusion the hardest parts to do :impissed: i just repeat myself majorly

as for mary shelley's frankenstein - ive only read bits of it, but it isnt too bad!! i prefered bram stokers dracula, but generally i found it to be quite easy to get into and an interesting read :yes: