Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Charity law and fundraising

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Somebody I know is working on a project in Morocco, just setting it up and was asking me about fund raising (as that is one of my strengths).

I have only ever really done it for charities already registered and have looked up charity law and it says that you need to be making at least £5000 per year to be a registered charity.

Does that mean that you need £5000 upfront?

Can you fund raise without being a registered charity?

Comments

• Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi Namaste,
    I've spoken to one of our fundies at YouthNet about this and it sounds like you've the wrong end of the stick about registering - you don’t need to pay £5,000, you only need to register as a charity if your annual income is above £5,000

We're pretty sure you can fundraise without being a registered charity, but you will probably need to declare it somewhere – the Charity Commission site is the best place to start for that info, or the Institute of Fundraising

Hope this helps :)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was talking to my mum the other day about this (kind of) because she does a Greyhound Walk which helps raise money for retired racers, and I asked her if she was going to register as a charity and she said no because:

Registering as a charity is really complicated, but that if you raise more than £5k per year you HAVE to register.