Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Eating disorder awareness week

2»

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    I wasn't saying that girl looked ok in that picture btw cuz she looks awful but like, what I was saying was, that I can still lose a bit more weight cuz I'll never get like that so I'll look ok.
    No you do not need to lose more weight. Seeing ribs at all isn't healthy - this is a true sign to stop.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    cuppatboys wrote: »
    Ergh seriously, I know that they are mental illnesses but ouch. Christ Ladies. Have a big mac! Tits and arse are there for a reason!

very insightful, thank you. :yeees:
    That picture has just made me feel tonnes better about myself. Cheers. I thought I might have been getting a bit skinny cuz you can see my rib bones but not like you can on that picture, nowhere near. Thank you :D It means I can still lose more weight and look ok!

do you really think that this is an appropriate thread for that? :/
    I didn't really think when I posted tbh. It probably isn't. Sorry.

Bah.

Maybe not but perhaps I shouldn't have posted it either. All I was trying to make was a point that curves are more attractive, and seeing your photos you are really beautiful the way you are. Lets hope that you look at that picture in a way soon in which you'l think... ergh! pass me the pizza!!
    Maybe not but perhaps I shouldn't have posted it either. All I was trying to make was a point that curves are more attractive, and seeing your photos you are really beautiful the way you are. Lets hope that you look at that picture in a way soon in which you'l think... ergh! pass me the pizza!!

EDs aren't really about looking attractive tbh, it's alot more than that.
    The thing is, with a lot of people with ED's, that picture won't make them think that. It will make them think "I can do better" or similar, which is why saying things like that are quite damaging in threads like this one.
    and stacey-what i was saying about laxatives and getting dehydrated and losing essential salts and electrolytes-you can die like the girl in the vid that had bulimia for 3 months.
    Ballerina wrote: »
    EDs aren't really about looking attractive tbh, it's alot more than that.

I know im naive. Sorry, perhaps it wasn't really wise that I should have posted those photos, like I said I was just trying to make a point but ive realised that if you do have problems then you would look at that picture and take it other ways :( its just so sad, I suppose ill never understand the way eating disorder sufferers think!
    some people hate themselves so much that they want to make themselves look ill. Starve and waste away into nothing.
    Also seeing bones is like i measurement of how well you are doing, a bit like the numbers on the scales.
    For what it is worth the photos themselves have been removed after a number of comments from users - though obviously I realise they were posted with the best intentions in mind.

As to dealing with eating disorders - there are a number of places people can go to far in addition to the support of people here -

The eatings disorders section of TheSite links to a number of organisations that can help, along with information on possible ways to begin changing the relationship someone has with food.

http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/mentalhealth/eatingdisorders/eatingdisordersexplained

In addition the main helplines page for the health section also includes the number of helplines that may useful

http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/helplines

Including the Samartians who are of course available 24 hours a day and are completely confidential if someone simply wants to talk about a problem, especially for what might be the first time.

This thread is obviously going to be triggering for some people - it may be best to view it as a chance to provide support rather than becoming too much of a debate, especially given how much of a problem this can be for may users.
    And just to make it clear - difficult as it is to watch I'm not suggesting the video isn't useful, I think it's a very useful illustration of the problems people have around eating.
    That shocked me. Especially the bit about the girl who died after a few months of being bulimic. I think I may have mentioned it on here, but I got in the habit of vomiting after bingeing. As tempting as it still is at times, that video has really shock me up, and shown the dangers of control. Thankyou RB.