Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Vista doesn't like my wifi...

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
I got a new computer, a laptop, with Vista installed on it (home premium, if it matters). It found and connected to neighbours' wifis without asking me (isn't that nice of it...) but, as was expected since I don't broadcast my SSID, it didn't find mine.

I had to set everything up: Enter my SSID, choose protection type (WEP), enter the WEP key, and enter IP addresses since I don't use DHCP. Then I had to go into the router's settings and add the computer's MAC address, since I restrict them.
Then I try to connect, and it always fails. I even made the network completely unsecure (broadcasted the SSID, no WEP or anything, no MAC restriction) and it still fails. "Diagnose" sometimes says that the computer doesn't have the same security information as the access point (which it does) and sometimes that the connection timed out.

Another OS I used on the same computer (Ubuntu liveCD), entering the very same settings for everything, connects to my router and the internet with no problem.

So... :confused:

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hard to tell exactly what's the problem, but I'd go for a newer driver if there is one. Use another computer to download a more recent one for your network card.
  • Options
    I tried newer drivers, still nothing. Thankfully it connects with a cable, and I'll mostly be using Ubuntu, but it would be good if I could get it to work...
  • Options
    what make of router have you got?

vista is rather picky when it comes to wifi and doesn't like unsecured networks

try allowing ssid to show and setting securty to wpa-psk, vista seems to like that one
  • Options
    It's a bit old, US Robotics 9106. Which I'm actually using as an access point, since it won't do for my current connection.

The neighbour's network that it automatically signed into was completely unsecured, so I don't think that's an issue. And I did turn off all security on mine, like I said, but it still wouldn't connect.
  • Options
    Its very possible that the wireless card in your new machine only works on say a B or G wireless network and your router only broadcasts on an A or a B...

I have seen this happen a few times with old routers and new network cards, or visa versa.

Check which ones your card works with and which ones your router broadcasts.
  • Options
    It's not THAT old, it broadcasts in G.
    And also, Ubuntu installed on the same computer connects, so it can't be a hardware issue.
  • Options
    I contacted Acer and they basically just admitted that it's because the router is old and doesn't support the security features Vista uses. Which is ridiculous really; if there's no hardware reason I can't connect, I should be able to turn off whatever causes the problem, even if it would result in an unsecured network.
    I've contacted US Robotics as well, but I don't hold out much hope since they don't support the model any more.
  • Options
    Solved it in the end! It turns out it was because Vista's GUI is crap.
    Although it found my network and had it in the list, since I have encryption I had to add it manually -including the SSID, which it could find on its own.
    And after that, it still wouldn't connect, because the dialog didn't have the option to choose if the WEP key is open or shared. So after adding it, I had to go to properties and choose "Shared". Which deleted the key, and I had to re-enter it.
    And then they say it's "user-friendly"... :rolleyes: