Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

getting into admin work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have 11 gsces at grade c and above and 4 As levels at grade c and above.
I want to get into an administration career but even something simple such as an office junior earning 11k a year i'm getting turned down for, my only work experience is as a barmaid and at the moment i'm a senior sales assistant in threshers. What can i do to help myself get into this career? i've even looked into doing a course in admin but you have to be in relevant work to even do it.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've done admin jobs for the last eight years.. and would now desperately love not to be chained to my desk for eight hours a day, but that's another story!

Do you have any IT qualifications - either software use or typing? They are always useful to get on your CV.

Speaking of your CV, do you list your skills rather than just your experience? By skills, I mean the things that are transferrable between jobs like being organised, methodical etc. (there are many more but my mind's just gone blank!). In between admin jobs, I was a waitress so had to write my skills on the first page to get me noticed and the reader interested in me before they turned the page and found out I was a waitress at present!

I'm an administrator in a HR Dept. now - if you want me to have a look at your CV I'll happily give you tips on how to change it to get it noticed.
    i have a GCSE in IT, and i am a quick typer but no formal typing qualification.
    Looking at my CV i've not listed skills as i don't know what skills i could say i learnt from being a barmaid.
    Looking at my CV i've not listed skills as i don't know what skills i could say i learnt from being a barmaid.

Plenty ;) Gimme a min to find my CV....
    This is my CV. I've removed addresses
    Doh, that's no good - I've only my 'in progress' one on this comp which has blank profile and skills sections as tailor them to the specific job I'm going for at the time (highlight the skills I have that they ask for in their advert). I also write a description of each job I've had highlighting the aspects of it which would be relevant to the job I'm going for at the time.

I'll come back tomorrow with the one that got me the job I have now.

In the meantime, here is the one with blanks to give you an idea for a new layout :)
    i don't have any qualifications other than my a levels and gcses which would come under my education, at the mo ive just started an NVQ in retail through my job but that's going to take a year and i can't see myself staying in this job for a year.
    Just need that one employer to give me a chance but eveyone seems to want previous experience.
    I'll come back tomorrow with the one that got me the job I have now.

Make that tomorrow as in Friday! :)
    Hi there. I'm in admin which, like you I was desperate to get into but like others am now desperate to get out of. In its defence, it's a good foundation career for getting into other things because you are getting trained in computer and communication skills which are essential in a lot of good jobs.

I was getting turned down for really basic admin jobs when like you I had my GCSEs and college qualifications. It's because a lot of admin jobs tend to go to younger relatives or partners of managers.

The way I got into admin was by getting a really crappy telesales job. It enabled me to put on my CV and applications that I had telephone and computer experience. The company I then applied for, for an admin role, thought I had relevant enough experience for the job.

So if the temp agencies don't get you anything, try sales or customer service. They're a really easy route into admin. And as others have said, remember to big up your skills on your CV. A lot of standing out in the selection process is using the right jargon.
    You could do some voluntry admin work to get you some experience?
    Your CV should be more than just listing what jobs you have done. Showing what skills you have and what skills you've learned is just as important.

Even being a humble barmaid you've developed fantastic customer service skills, you interact well in a team and you're a good team player, you're organised and diligent when working as an individual. You've learned how to manage yourself in stressful situations (when drunks get nasty or flirty), you've developed negotiation skills (by refusing to serve drunks), and if you've worked in a number of bars you've shown that you can adapt to new people and new workplaces quickly and easily.

You're a skilled user of administration software, in particular Microsoft Office, and you have a qualification in IT.

By posting here you've been involved in a major national charity aiming to help vulnerable young people.

It's not what you've done, its how you write it that counts. Crowbar the buzzwords in. You're selling yourself with a CV, you've got to enhance the positives. Don't lie but there's nothing wrong with a bit of exaggeration.

Register with some temping agencies and you should be posted into some admin work fairly soon. You'll be starting low down, minimum wage, but as you prove your competence you'll get better positions.

You'll be fine, just pimp yourself a bit better :D
    When i was on my gap year - which admittedly was zonks ago i got onto a reasonably cheap city and guilds 4 week computer course - which taught all the computer basics - i'd already done pitman typing and word processing at school but - for some unfathomable reason we'd not been taught anything about MS Office.

Anyway it was a super help and meant that i was better at the touch typing and data entry skills when i went to see some agencies.

The first job i had was as a press assistant at the office of the national lottery as a temp (in the days before email!) and they offered it to me as a permenant position - unfortunatley i was going travelling and then to do a degree so i said no - but basically i guess what i'm saying is that once you start its all pretty self explanitory.
    As others have said, make sure to add a section about your skills. There are many places online where you can take alpha and numeric typing tests, test your level of skill in ms products

Make sure to mention if you have any experience with multi line phones, any type of customer service work, the bar work would be great to reference to.

Any job that is in an office would be one to try to get. Whether it be basic office duties like filing and sorting, working in a mailroom. Data entry, reception, assistant... many jobs will give you skills and you will be able to move up in the company, or simply use it as a stepping stone to another country.

The one thing I would say though, I'm not sure if your CV is what is common there, but in my experience (I've had more jobs than years I've been alive and worked with the hiring process in a couple jobs) interests are not interesting, lengthy sentences should be substituted for phrases, bullets and easy/quick readibility. Many places have alot of applications to go thru and seeing bullets with applicable points are much easier to see and grab your attention than having to read through sentences. I've also always been told to avoid writing in the first person. Don't personalize.

For example, for the part time bar staff, I would write it more like

Stanstead Abbotts Village Club
    Bar Staff
    Provide service to customers in a variety of situations
    Organize and stock bar area while ensuring a clean and well maintained area
    Responsible for takings nightly

But then again I've learned they could be so so so different in the UK and US (it's illegeal to ask an applicants age, so dob would be out of the question), school grades and such stuff would never be added

I'd also suggest more direct language. Even in such areas as the very end. Instead of references can be supplied if needed, I've always seen, references available upon request, just little stuff, but it's always seemed to make a difference in the overall content.

Don't hesitate in kissing your own ass ;)
    i was in your situation

i'd just left school, had good grades for gcse and a levels and wanted to do an admin job

i also got turned down left right and centre because i didn't have any experience but no one would give me a job so i could get the experience

luckily, i then found an NVQ training centre that found me a placement in a workplace and helped me get NVQs in Admin, Customer Service and IT which then also gave me the experience that work places wanted - got paid £50 a week training allowance as well

is there anything like that in your area?

T2 usually do something like it so may be worth getting in touch with them if you have one in your area

There are ways to break into office work if you're not happy doing telesales and such :)