Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Student politics are dirty - should i give up?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Aren't they?

Already I've had posters ripped down and defaced. :rolleyes:

One gay guy is running with a homophobic society, who last year tried to blackmail the team that they wouldn't have their support. They approached my mate and tried to get him to run instead as they didn't want anything to do with a homosexual. This society quite literally runs the student union.

I have heard that the woman who ran for president (again, against a candidate from that society) had her skin colour and gender used against her...

I have been warned to keep quiet of my sexuality as it may cause me problems. Some societies won't even talk to me for some reason (but will talk to the other 'team'... How odd).

In short, I don't know if I can actually be arsed anymore, as I probably won't get in because of who I'm running against. This royally sucks, as the woman who is running to be elected quite literally did nothing, has no idea how the SU is run and is never seen.

Student politics is bullshit.

I would like to make a change, or at least have somebody in there who can be bothered and wants more than their CV boosting... At the same time, if I run then I will be seen. I am worried then that somebody will out me and I am not ready for that (one person who is supporting the candidate I am running against is one of the few people who know).

Would you run, as you have come this far... Or drop out, as it is hopeless?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    And here I am thinking students are - dependent on what they study - the most open-minded, fair, non-generalizing people.

Apparently not everywhere around the globe.

You can't fight against a homophobic swamp of narrow-minded people. What are the reasons to be homophobic or racist? Most of the time - I say - there are no reasons. They are just regurgitating and spewing out the shit parents/uncles/other people who seemed wiser or respectable at a dangerous age preached. You can't convince stupid, illogical people with logic, so it's probably better to give up, like giving a blind eye, or switching uni.
    I would go for it if I were you. In my experience, universities are very cliquey places anyway, I've never been involved in the politics side but I can imagine that is even worse. However as you say you've come this far so if it is something you want to do and feel strongly about then you should at least give it a shot.

It does seem VERY odd to me that sexuality/gender/skin colour should even be a consideration for anyone though, why would your personal life or other irrelevant attributes have anything to do with your ability to perform well in the role? Do you think it is just a few people making life difficult for others (e.g. making a big deal out of someone being gay in an attempt to generally put them down) and other people not speaking out against it, 'cos I just can't imagine in this day and age being at a uni where someone doesn't get elected for reasons like that! Bizarre!

Good luck anyway and I would say stick with it because you might be surprised at the way it turns out.
    FireFly85 wrote: »
    I would go for it if I were you. In my experience, universities are very cliquey places anyway, I've never been involved in the politics side but I can imagine that is even worse. However as you say you've come this far so if it is something you want to do and feel strongly about then you should at least give it a shot.

It does seem VERY odd to me that sexuality/gender/skin colour should even be a consideration for anyone though, why would your personal life or other irrelevant attributes have anything to do with your ability to perform well in the role? Do you think it is just a few people making life difficult for others (e.g. making a big deal out of someone being gay in an attempt to generally put them down) and other people not speaking out against it, 'cos I just can't imagine in this day and age being at a uni where someone doesn't get elected for reasons like that! Bizarre!

Good luck anyway and I would say stick with it because you might be surprised at the way it turns out.

It could be only a few. The big society is the Afro-Caribbean society. I know what my university is like, nothing would be done even if they were more openly homophobic as they're too powerful.

I've just been warned to keep it quiet and as my university has a high rate of religious and ethnic groups, yes it could lose me a lot of votes. Not because the people are nasty, but because of the cultures some come from and because of religious teaching.

And people do not vote on the lines of ability. They vote on skin colour.

I may do it anyway, but the ACS always have a very big and very loud campaign team. lol, last year they got in trouble for being too pushy.
    Not sure. If it's causing more stress than it's worth then don't force yourself to stick with it.

But then again, when institutions are racist or homophobic or whatever else could be wrong with them then it's much easier to work towards change from the inside rather than as an outsider. Which makes me think you should keep going with your campaign to challenge their attitudes :yes:

Good luck :D
    Namaste wrote: »
    I've just been warned to keep it quiet and as my university has a high rate of religious and ethnic groups, yes it could lose me a lot of votes. Not because the people are nasty, but because of the cultures some come from and because of religious teaching.

Yeah that makes more sense I guess but is still bloody ridiculous IMO! If it is really getting you down and affecting other things then perhaps it isn't worth it, but to me it sounds like you would do really well in the position and really care about the job, and I think you shouldn't feel intimidated for standing up for who you are and what you believe in. It is worth giving it a go (as long as it doesn't really get you down or stress you out) just so that you can say to yourself that you tried, and if you don't get it you know it wasn't because you'd be crap at the job!
    Actually sounds cool in a bad way, no one gives a flying fuck about student politics in my uni. Get them back somehow, like exposing their homophobic beliefs or just rip all their posters down? :D
    Firstly, is there an elections committee who can do something about their behaviour?

Secondly, you're running for all the right reasons and some people will see that. I've learned over the last two weeks that sometimes the silent majority can win it if you can find a way to mobilise them. Good luck!
    OMG big surprise and update! :eek:

My manifesto was missing from the manifesto book...

Don't get me wrong, I can see how I can be so easily forgotten, for criticising the beginning of the elections as being undemocratic, for being the most active part time officer, or contacting our manager directly several times during elections and for working two days a week in our student unions.

Yes, I don't blame them for 'forgetting' me at all, being discreet and not very well know and all...:rolleyes:

This is getting fucking stupid. I don't know how much longer I can be arsed. They obviously don't want anybody in who cares enough to make changes and challenge the way the union is run.