Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Onions

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I keep getting bitter onions. I thought the purple ones were sweet, but they weren't, then I got some other ones, and some others and some others and they are all bitter and nasty and give me ass breath.

What the hell kind are the sweet kind?

Comments

• KMilleKMille Posts: 4 Newbie
    Hiya,

I read on Wikipedia that spring onions are not pungent (aka sweet onions = fresh onion = spring onion = summer onion). I'm not an expert in onions so you will have to try by yourself and let me know if that's what you're after.

Good luck in your quest ;-)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I soetimes get this, but it is mostly when they are getting near to going off that I find they get more bitter. Also with the purple one's I've noticed if they are really, really dark in colour and like leave a little bit of a stain on your hands thats when there the worst!
    piecesofme wrote: »
    I soetimes get this, but it is mostly when they are getting near to going off that I find they get more bitter. Also with the purple one's I've noticed if they are really, really dark in colour and like leave a little bit of a stain on your hands thats when there the worst!

Granted I rarely clean out the fridge, they area always bitter to begin with. Not off, just bitter... I trust the store ;) The man says theres a thing in the store actually called a sweet onion... whudathunk. Though I've never seen it labeld that way. Though I've never really looked.

But speaking of onions... what do they make http://www.mrmenu.net/discus/messages/17/16452.jpg out of... cuz thats fucking huge. I've never seen an onion that big.

Does anybody eat onions plain by themselves? I've heard of that... and as much as I *LOVE* onions... thats nasty.
    Does anybody eat onions plain by themselves? I've heard of that... and as much as I *LOVE* onions... thats nasty.

That's because onions in general are rancid and the fruit of the devil :sour:
    I don't see a big onion in that pic. Onions are lush.
    try keeping them out of the fridge, i never keep mine in the fridge and havent had any weird tasting ones
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    You definately don't need to keep onions in the fridge.
    Weekender Offender 
    I keep onions in the fridge, always have done.

But I don't have much space for food elsewhere.