Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Conservative Peer gives his assessment of hospital care received

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/7269866.stm

He's making a bit of a value judgement when he talks about the 'drunken and promiscuous' bit, but apart from that bit of prudishness I don't see anything wrong with that assessment.

Any healthcare professionals or people with recent experience care to wade in with how representative they think this is?

For my part, I was a Nursing Auxilliary for a while on a Vascular Surgical ward (I won't say which hospital) but certainly there was none of that when I was working there part time. Total committment from everyone there BUT heard things about other wards that weren't so great.

Comments

• Options
    Not promiscuous enough in my experience (well apart from one)
  • Options
    I know where he's coming from. I was in Frimley on several occasions and came across army nursing staff and the regular kind. The regular kind did seem to have this tendancy to talk as if no one else could hear them, and some daft belief that curtains are sound proof.
  • Options
    Any healthcare professionals or people with recent experience care to wade in with how representative they think this is?

I could name people I know who would fit his description. Certainly from the drunken and promiscuous perspective anyway.
  • Options
    I could name people I know who would fit his description. Certainly from the drunken and promiscuous perspective anyway.

Any chances you could e-mail names, photos and telephone numbers :D
  • Options
    No grubby nurses at the last hospital I was at. I think all members of staff have the potential to talk about patients as if they aren't there, especially if the patient is quite old, not all but some.

I remember clerking a lady who has good days and not to good days. I saw her on a bad day and any question I asked resulted in a 5 minute monologue on her childhood. One of the nurses looked at me and asked if the doctor had told me to see her specifically. I said yes. She said, "Yeah, she's alright most of the time, but this morning she just completely lost it."