Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

A Chemistry Question-help please??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I dont know what level this is as its for a pharmacy BTec, but im really stuck with this question and id be very grateful for some help!!

Titanium is manufactured by heating titanium (IV) chloride with sodium;

TiCl4+Na
>Ti+NaCl

What mass of sodium is required to produce 1 tonne of titanium??

The answer is 1.22, apparently, but i need to show i can work it out.

thanks
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Something to do with atomic weights isn't it? You have to work out the values. So long ago I did Chemistry.

tum te tum.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    i feel very stupid :(
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    xsazx wrote: »
    aww :( tis only gcse science ... pointless all the same :D

I got two Es in Dual Award :D Go me! woo!

it was the higher paper so in theory I shouldnt have got that, I should have auto got a U - but let's keep that hush hush!
    i had B B in dual award and i haven't got a fricking clue what any of that meant :(

i also did higher paper and i feel a bit thick now, lol
    huh? lol!!

Thank you.

I got a BB in gcse science and i dont remember any of this being in it!! It was 8 years ago though!

I dont get where the 907184.78g comes from though?
    The nations of the earth are nothing more than a film of dust on a weighing scale.
    first of all you need to add the right coefficients to that fomula.

TiCl4 + 4 Na --> Ti + 4 NaCl

every element has to appear on the left and right side of the equation. So as you can see you need 4 times the amount of sodium than TiCl4 so this reaction works. (not weight wise, but 4 times the amount of mol, or however you say that in english).

Ti weighs 48grams per mol.
    So one ton of Titan is 20833 mol.

Since you need 4 times the amount of Sodium you need 83333 mol Sodium, which is at 23grams per mol, 1.916 tons of Sodium.

It might be wrong since it's late and I am overworked, but you get the idea.
    I get ya, thanks. Oops, i copied out the question, but forgot to change it because the first question was to balance it. (i did that bit)

When i worked it out i was getting 1.9 aswell, but we've already been told that its 1.22.

confused!!
    Sikorah wrote: »
    I get ya, thanks. Oops, i copied out the question, but forgot to change it because the first question was to balance it. (i did that bit)

When i worked it out i was getting 1.9 aswell, but we've already been told that its 1.22.

confused!!

You know you're right, so screw all the other airheads =P
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I've got an A level in chemistry but Im lost. I havn't done any calculations like that for years and I'm hungover.
    Weekender Offender 
    Welsh Jemz wrote: »
    i had B B in dual award and i haven't got a fricking clue what any of that meant :(

i also did higher paper and i feel a bit thick now, lol

Same goes. Science was one of my weak points. My brain is just not geared up to cope :blush: