Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Could I get compensation?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I think I know the answer to this... But just thought I'd ask, see what people's thoughts are...

Back in November I saw a registra for a gynae appointment.
I have had a lot of on-going gynae problems and abdominal pains.

During the appointment the registra gave me a prescription for antibiotics.... just incase I had an infection. She did no tests whatsoever to find out if I had an infection, and at the time I was sleep deprived from being up every night in pain so I didn't think to question it at all.

Anyway, the antibiotics caused me to develop C.dif - the superbug; which had me in hospital for 3 days and I missed 6 weeks off work. I now can't afford all the payments I've got going out of my account next month.

I'm just a bit pissed off that I was put on antibiotics in the first place... It's pretty obvious what was causing my pains was a mass that they found on a scan yesterday.
I mean, what kind of doctor prescibes unnessassery antibiotics anyway, I thought they weren't meant to do that?

Grrrr!

Comments

• Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I would doubt you would get any form of comp as it hasnt really affected you (I know it has but I think you can see what I mean)

It is also very hard to sue PCTs as it opens 'floodgates' for want of a better word.

You would need to get another GP to testify that what they did was negligent, and tbh I dont think it would be classed as such.

sorry hun
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    I would doubt you would get any form of comp as it hasnt really affected you (I know it has but I think you can see what I mean)

Sorry, I have no idea what you mean? :blush:

Well the doctor I saw yesterday in my gynae appointment agreed with me that I shouldn't have been prescribed them and said 'I can't imagin why she did that'; and she hadn't even written down on my notes what she suspected I had.

But yeah, I don't think I'd get anywhere with it. :yeees:
  • Options
    Doctor's are quite lucky to be protected by this shield of 'we know what's best' so there is little to no accountability, except internally (if another doctor reports them). It's the same with many professions like that, they can just say the public doesn't know what they're talking about...

As Bunnie said I pretty much think the only way you could get them disciplined would be another doctor (and they probably wont risk a friendship or the hassle over one incident?), and even then I don't know if you could get compensation.

Having said that, you could ask a compensation solicitor or something. Or wait for Kermit or someone who probably knows exactly...
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Lu_C wrote: »
    Sorry, I have no idea what you mean? :blush:

Well the doctor I saw yesterday in my gynae appointment agreed with me that I shouldn't have been prescribed them and said 'I can't imagin why she did that'; and she hadn't even written down on my notes what she suspected I had.

But yeah, I don't think I'd get anywhere with it. :yeees:

as in your leg hasnt dropped off as a result of the C -Dif, but I can imagine you it did affect you in the short term.

That is what I meant, I assume that everyone is sitting in my head with me, and knows what I am going on about :p

*clears throat* I studied both medical law and clinical negligence *takes a bow*
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    as in your leg hasnt dropped off as a result of the C -Dif, but I can imagine you it did affect you in the short term.

Oh I get what you mean now.
  • Options
    There's also often a reasonable case in medicine if you suspect an infection for hitting the antibiotics because if it is an infection they will have made a impact on treating it well before any test result comes back. So while it turned out not to be the right treatment, if it had have been you'd have been a good 5 days ahead of waiting for any test results.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that although it wasn't the right course of action for you, it wasn't an unreasonable course of action to take, thus you'd be very unlikely to get any compensation.
  • Options
    There's also often a reasonable case in medicine if you suspect an infection for hitting the antibiotics because if it is an infection they will have made a impact on treating it well before any test result comes back. So while it turned out not to be the right treatment, if it had have been you'd have been a good 5 days ahead of waiting for any test results.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that although it wasn't the right course of action for you, it wasn't an unreasonable course of action to take, thus you'd be very unlikely to get any compensation.

Yeah that's what I thought. Just pissed off really. And had she actually done any tests to see if I had an infection I would have been slightly more sympathetic to the situation... But never mind; water under the bridge, ay?
  • Options

.. and that is the key.