Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Won't eat veg

Sorry if I should have posted this else where, wasn't sure.

Need some advice, my partner will not eat any veg apart from potato. I'm finding it abit difficult to find/think of healthy meals.

Any suggestions, please?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey Janjan,
    I think being patient and offering gentle but regular encouragement can be one way forward. However, I've just come across this website for adult fussy eaters that you may find useful - also has links to other useful websites at the bottom. Hope it helps!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Can you do the "kiddy" thing and hide veg in meals?

I don't have any experience with it but I know it sometimes has to be done... will have a look for some websites :)
    thanks guys.
    I noticed Heinz do spaghetti hoops with hidden veg lol! Not sure if that would work.
    Thing is, the only reason he doesn't like them is because he says they taste of 'nothing'. So surely it's not a big deal just to eat it anyway? Better than tasting of something horrible. iykwim
    If he likes potatoes, buy some carrots and swedes and mash them all together.

Carrot and swede mash = yum :yum:. I'm sure it'll work with potato too :yes:.
    Good thinking Franki! You can add any veg into mash... good ones would be parsnip and cauliflower because they're white and he won't be able to tell the difference appearance-wise, anyway
    my man hates most veg, but i just make them anyway and its got to the stage where he just eats the first, quickly to get to the rest of it.

I kept telling him before that if he wasnt going to eat veg then he had to eat some fruit every day or i was gonna put extra vegetables with his dinner :) I get him fruit smoothies sometimes and he'll eat bananas, but tbh, im never gonna get him to eat anything like the recommended amount, but i try. Its his life really, but if he wants me to cook for him, then im not just making him junk food.

Ive done the hidden vegetables thing too, puree a carrot or two and mix it in with a bolognese sauce, put peas in stuff etc. Tell him how important it is that he doesnt pass on his neurosis about vegetables to your baby and see heathy eating as a chore rather than enjoyable or even just normal
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I don't like a lot of veg but I eat anyway. It's good for you.

Stews and soups are good for consuming veg. They all masehd up and everything tastes the same.
    Weekender Offender 
    I used to hate veg but love it now, even brocolli which I used to despise. :impissed:

As Skive said, soup is a good source of veg cos you won't really taste it when you're eating it.
    Hate veg too (besides potato) much to the dismay of my girlfriend. What's the big deal if he doesn't eat them?
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    I used to hate veg but love it now, even brocolli which I used to despise. :impissed:

I like brocolli too now, but I didn't for years. Same with a lot of veg.

Still don't liek cauliflower though, smells like a bad case of wind when it's cooking.
    Weekender Offender 
    Kiezo wrote: »
    What's the big deal if he doesn't eat them?

What despite the fact that vegetables contain some vital vitamins, proteins and carbohydrates essential for good health? Nothing really. :razz:

Skive-melted cheese over cauliflower is quite yum.
    Its natural really for your taste buds to change as you grow up and for you to eat a wider range of things. Otherwise you'd be stuck on fish fingers and beans most of your life.

I get a veg box each week, so quite often I'm left looking at something thinking 'what the bloody hell can I do with this?' which is a great way of trying new things.
    Hate veg too (besides potato) much to the dismay of my girlfriend. What's the big deal if he doesn't eat them?

well if youre living as a family its a bit stupid and impractical to cook different meals for everyone, plus the fact its a health thing, and if you care about your partner, you want them to not eat just rubbish
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    What despite the fact that vegetables contain some vital vitamins, proteins and carbohydrates essential for good health? Nothing really. :razz:

Well I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say he probably already knows that :razz:
    Well I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say he probably already knows that :razz:

Well if you dont live with someone then yeah it would be a bit much to expect them to change their eating habits, but I think when you have a family, you need to start looking after yourself more, plus if youre cooking something completely different for one person, then its not a good influence for the child.
    He might know they have vitamins in, but mght not realise theyre actually essential, being that hes not of the age to start having serious health problems from crappy eating habits yet.