Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

God parents

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I really want to get my daughter christened or thanks giving. But Im just really stuck on the God parents, and its stopping me from getting her christened cos I dont want to upset anyone.

I was thinking about my sister and brother to be God parents, but my OH wants his sister aswell. Or thought about my bro and his g/f, they both are always txting me about her.

On the other hand, I would like God parents to be none family members, I have got a best friend, been mates for like 9ish years, but she aint christened and I dont know if I really want her to be a God parent.

I have got two good friends (there twins) I met them at college and they love my daughter to bits, and I think they would be really good God parents, think I would like these to be her God mothers.

My OH has got a really good mate, and he is even good be his best man at our wedding.... I know he will be a great God father - loves her to bits, but he is gonna be finishing uni soon and dont know if he is still gonna be round here - I want my daughter to see her God parents.

I have been looking on the net, and it said when picking God parents, will they still be around in 10 years, thats why I was thinking about family members?!

I just dont want to upset my sis, dont want to hurt her feelings:(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I always thought that god parents were not supposed to be the immediate family. The three that you have picked sound perfect though.

However I guess you might run the risk of annoying your best friend by not picking her - not being christened is a bit of a lame excuse as you don't even need to prove that you have been.
    just pick who you think would be a good spiritual guide to them, or who youd want to look after your child if anything happened to you and your partner. I think thats how you choose isnt it?
    I dont think it matters if theyre family or not
    It depends why you are having them Christened and what you personally consider the role of the God parent to be.

If you just want a nice day with friends and family to celebrate the arrival of your child then pick anybody you feel like.

If you view the Christening as an important aspect of your faith, as a dedication of the child back to God, then you might want to be a bit more selective in who you choose. If they are to give the child spiritual guidance within their Christian life then having a commited Christen would be essential (although being Christened and being a commited Christian are not the same thing!)

Some churches are more strict than others about the need for the God parent to be Christened themselves, if it's not important to you either way then it's apparently easy to lie as you don't usually get asked to prove it although personally I wouldn't want to lie about this.

I remember being told that God parents are who steps in when something terrible happens to the child's own parents but I doubt that that really comes into it these days. I don't think social services would care who the God parent is or isn't when deciding who gets the children, they would jus act in the Child's best interest regardless.
    You can have more than one set of Godparents, so why don't you ask all of them to be?

The role of the Godparent is to be the spiritual guide for the child and anyone who will be a good spiritual guide should be considered. Some Churches still insist on the Godparent being baptised and confirmed but fewer care these days.
    Kermit wrote: »
    You can have more than one set of Godparents, so why don't you ask all of them to be?

The role of the Godparent is to be the spiritual guide for the child and anyone who will be a good spiritual guide should be considered. Some Churches still insist on the Godparent being baptised and confirmed but fewer care these days.

I did think about it, but there would be 4 God mothers and 2/4 God fathers. I just thought people might think it was silly to have 6/8 God parents?:confused:
    lucky child, rather than silly parents/godparents imo.
    Are you planning any more kids because you'll need to save some for next time if there is a next time! In my experience each child has a couple of family members and a close family friend as god parents.