Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Christening - need info

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I would like to get my daughter christend, but I do like the idea of a thanks giving, thanking God for our baby. But think we will go for a christening.

I am not religious as such, I do believe in God, and I think that we are blessed that we have a baby. Do we just go to the local vicar and ask him to christen her, even though we dont go to church?? My OH (babys dad) is not chistened, so will he need to be christened? I was christened at a methodist.

What I'm abit confused on are the different sort of churches, like methodist, CoE. Do they all believe in God, but believe different things happend at different times??

I've been looking on the net but its so confusing! :confused:

Thanks for any help/info!:)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah I no wrote: »
    I am not religious as such, I do believe in God, and I think that we are blessed that we have a baby. Do we just go to the local vicar and ask him to christen her, even though we dont go to church??
    Yes.
    My OH (babys dad) is not chistened, so will he need to be christened?
    No.
    What I'm abit confused on are the different sort of churches, like methodist, CoE. Do they all believe in God, but believe different things happend at different times??
    Without getting into a tirade against religion, all the Christian factions are pretty much the same in principle, with variations on precise areas of made up bullshit. If you dig around too much, you'll inevitably find that you don't agree with any of them anyway, so the best bet is to pick the one with the best school in your area. ;) I'd say rather than looking at things like their opinion on transubstansiation, or the trinity, or the virgin birth, it might be worth looking at their policies on real life modern day stuff, like abortion, contraception, homosexuality, etc, and see if it fits in with your own opinion.

Of course, if you decide none of them are for you, there are alternative naming ceremonies that people have. Essentially a Christening without the religion.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey you thought about a naming ceremony as opposed to a full on christening?