Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Isn't Iran a strange place?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Must be easy to fight though, when they are hiding in foxholes you could just turn on the loudspeakers and blast out 'YMCA' :D
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I find the use of 'disorder' to describe gay sex not only incorrect but also disturbing.

I'm not using it to describe gay sex. I'm using it to describe homosexuality. And even then, I'm only suggesting the possibility, I'm not actually using it to refer to homosexuality. Why exactly do you find the use of "disorder" disturbing, but are presumably perfectly happy to use it to refer to other things that occur naturally?
  • Options
    Because when it comes to people and the human body and/or mind, the term disorder is used to describe an ailment; basically something that is wrong.

From dictionary.com:

"An ailment that affects the function of mind or body: eating disorders and substance abuse."

Therefore describing homosexuality as a sexual disorder indicates the speaker considers homosexuality to be an illness of sorts.
  • Options
    The pathans have a song which starts with the lines, "There is a boy across the river with a bottom like a peach, but alas I cannot swim" which manages to be romantic, tragic and disturbing at the same time
  • Options
    Because when it comes to people and the human body and/or mind, the term disorder is used to describe an ailment; basically something that is wrong.

From dictionary.com:

"An ailment that affects the function of mind or body: eating disorders and substance abuse."

Therefore describing homosexuality as a sexual disorder indicates the speaker considers homosexuality to be an illness of sorts.

Yeah disorder is not the right term for it. Possibly unnatural, or wrong, but not an illness or a disorder.
  • Options
    Yeah disorder is not the right term for it. Possibly unnatural, or wrong, but not an illness or a disorder.

Wow! You're going to endear yourself to a lot of people - NOT! :banghead:
  • Options
    . Possibly unnatural, or wrong, .
    I knew that Rubberskin was a wrong 'un.
  • Options

And considering that the world's best scientists aren't exactly unanimous about the causes of homosexuality, wouldn't it be a bit presumptious on your part to state that it isn't an ailment similar to any other psychological condition? Again, would you consider paedophilia to be the same as homosexuality in that respect?
  • Options
    Possibly unnatural, or wrong, but not an illness or a disorder.

It's absolutely anything but unnatural and wrong.
  • Options
    And considering that the world's best scientists aren't exactly unanimous about the causes of homosexuality, wouldn't it be a bit presumptious on your part to state that it isn't an ailment similar to any other psychological condition?
    No, because there is nothing wrong with homosexuality, any more than there is something wrong with being attracted to certain colours, sounds and tastes but not to others.
    Again, would you consider paedophilia to be the same as homosexuality in that respect?
    Not really, no.
  • Options
    No, because there is nothing wrong with homosexuality, any more than there is something wrong with being attracted to certain colours, sounds and tastes but not to others.
    I never said there was anything "wrong" with homosexuality in a moral sense. I said that in terms of being able to pass on your genes to the next generation, it puts the person at a severe disadvantage. Would you deny that?
    Not really, no.
    Why not?
  • Options
    I never said there was anything "wrong" with homosexuality in a moral sense. I said that in terms of being able to pass on your genes to the next generation, it puts the person at a severe disadvantage. Would you deny that?
    Maybe but that is not a disorder. That's not what disorder means (or certainly what it is used as) when it comes to discussing human beings.

Why not?
    Because in the case of paedophilia there are other issues to consider, such as the lack of psychological maturity and often the physical impediments children would face if they were to have sexual relations.
  • Options
    Because in the case of paedophilia there are other issues to consider, such as the lack of psychological maturity and often the physical impediments children would face if they were to have sexual relations.

Irrelevant, you are talking about the act of having sex with a child there.

Paedophilia is the sexual attraction to children. It is no different in that sense to sexual attraction to men, women or even animals.
  • Options

Please explain why homosexuality is "unnatural"...
  • Options
    Irrelevant, you are talking about the act of having sex with a child there.

Paedophilia is the sexual attraction to children. It is no different in that sense to sexual attraction to men, women or even animals.
    Fair enough. I guess I was thinking more about the act of having sex with children rather than the sexual attraction to them.

So from that point of view paedophilia is no more of a disorder than heterosexuality, I'm With Stupid.
  • Options
    So from that point of view paedophilia is no more of a disorder than heterosexuality, I'm With Stupid.
    Right, that's what I was getting at. But what I was basically arguing is that you shouldn't discount it as a disorder, when we clearly don't know. Because on the surface at least, both hinder procreation, which is how we would normally judge these things.
  • Options
    Are you sure about that? I've never heard the concept that any sexual practice that hinders procreation is a "disorder".
  • Options
    I don't agree with you IWS, I think that it is pretty clear cut. To use an expression like "disorder" is to imply that there abnormality is the behaviour.

However, as we have already established sexual attraction is entirely in keeping with nature and can be evidenced in the behaviour of other species...
  • Options
    I don't agree with you IWS, I think that it is pretty clear cut. To use an expression like "disorder" is to imply that there abnormality is the behaviour.

I would argue that plenty of the things that we would refer to as a "disorder" are just as naturally occuring as homosexuality. In fact everything that occurs is naturally occuring, or it wouldn't happen. And normally what we call a disorder is something which hinders or prohibits procreation (either directly, or by making us less capable of survival). What makes someone being born infertile a disorder, and someone being born gay not? Both occur naturally in the animal kingdom. I have suggested one explination, which I think has some promise as a theory, but it's by no means conclusive.
  • Options
    Are you sure about that? I've never heard the concept that any sexual practice that hinders procreation is a "disorder".

Not any sexual practice. Any accident of birth. Any genetic difference. Being born blind would hinder survival (and therefore procreation), so we would refer to it as a disorder. Being born infertile wouldn't hinder survival, but would hinder procreation, and so we would refer to it as a disorder. I'm not saying homosexuality is a disorder, but it might be.
  • Options
    I would argue that plenty of the things that we would refer to as a "disorder" are just as naturally occuring as homosexuality.

But an illness, such as blindness, means that the part of the body affected will have an abnormailty of behaviour.

That is the difference.
  • Options
    Maybe it's an evolutionary mechanism for survival making sure we don't overpopulate too much. So it's totally natural too.

the greeks and romans had a lot of gay sex, they also had a lot of sex in general

i'd say it was partially cultural thing how people behave and whom they like, but also partially how you are as an individual, either in mental development or genetically as to what sex you prefer

so someone could be generally pretty straight or gay but still do the opposite in the right cultural setting
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Teagan wrote: »
    ... Yet homosexuality is still punishable by death."

:confused:

Lol. Welcome to religion.

Well, I guess if you are gay, and you get the opp, it isn't homosexuality anymore? But... if you don't want it... well, you're fucked.

Ah, I love these little illogical situations. Nothing like extremist religious nuts to provide them too.

Dear god. What would Iran make of the traps on certain *chan sites.