Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Budapest/Vienna

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Has anyone been to either Budapest or Vienna?

I'm considering going there over Easter. It will involve a long night train, I'm just wondering whether it will be worth it.

I don't know much about either place, apart from spas and nice cake :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Been to Budapest for couple of days and loved it, although i only really went out in Buda and not Pest (the place is split into two halves). I'd say it's def worth a visit :)
    been to Vienna and didnt like it much, the place itself is beautiful and had a good laugh at the fair thing, but other than looking at stuff theres not much else to do (or at least we didnt find anything), was only there for 2 days and that was enough, we then went on the bus to Bratislava

i wouldnt recommend it to people, but i know a lot of people like it.
    Vienna is beautiful... but I've had good and bad experiences there. First time I didn't have a clue so just wandered aimlessly and was so bored and frustrated. Second time was with my Austrian boyfriend so he knew really cool places to eat and drink, and there's a lot of beautiful architecture and sightseeing potential of course. Not to forget Sachertorte :yum:

Budapest is a cooler city, good nightlife. I see LuckyStrike mentioned Bratislava which is one of my favourite cities in Europe - is that a possibility? I know there's a nighttrain that goes (I think this was the route) Warsaw-Krakow-Zakopane-Bratislava.
    I have some friends living in Budapest (in Pest) so I could potentially stay with them.

What were the prices like there? I'm on a Polish wage now so my money doesn't go very far!

I heard that you can get a fast ferry along the Danube to Vienna from Budapest in just a few hours so thought we could combine the two cities into one trip. Easter is the only opportunity I will get to do much more travelling as I get 6 days off in a row.
    bus or boat to bratislava from vienna doesnt take long at all!

think it cost us about ?5 on the bus

wanted to do the ferry thing cos that looked cool but it was fully booked by the time we dragged ourselves to the station
    Yea, both...
    very often too.

Budapest and Bratislava have probably better nightlife as they are quite cheaper than vienna. There is a train ticket for like 10euro to Bratislava (about 45-55 mins) and back (from vienna), so maybe there's something too for Budapest...

You could easily combine more of those cities if you get a reasonable train fare...
    Oh I think both cities are definitely worth it. I liked Budapest better I think, but Vienna is also beautiful and grand. I don't know about the ferry on the Danube, thought it sounds like a dream to me. I'd definitely do it if I had the chance - the Danube is wonderful.
    i lived in vienna last semester, and went to budapest for a long weekend, the train between the two is not very expensive especially if you buy the tickets in budapest. to me vienna is wonderful but they are both worth seeing