Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is My Mum Being Unreasonable?

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I can understand the disabilites you have make some jobs hard to do but it's only impossible if you make it so.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Public transport around is absolutely rubbish. And to get to most places, I need to take more than one bus. To do most jobs, I would also need to be able to drive as well.
    I have to agree that public transport is diabolical in most parts of the country. For example, I used to have to take two buses to get to work each day until the middle of last year. It cost me around £30 altogether to do it six days a week. I found it a total pain in the arse, especially when it was pissing down with rain. However, I had to do it, because that's what I had to do for my job. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, and the same applies to the women.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    I'm going to be a nurse.

:crazyeyes
  • Options
    can I just ask Melian, what visual impairment do you have? is it nystagmus?
  • Options
    Hello,

I know that it is often incredibly difficult for people with disabilities to find jobs which they can do, but there is help out there, you can get help under the acces to work scheme which will pay for you to have things adapted in your work place to support you to get a job, this could be something as simple as getting a new desk, to a braille reader or even a sign language interpreter if you need one.

The right of disabled people to work is enshrined in legislation right up to the UN Convention on the rights of people with disabilities, therefore you have just as much right to work as the next person and under UK law employers are compelled to offer you support and assistance in order for you to work.

Which brings me on to my next point - i have worked in offices with people who are disabled, including people who are completely deafblind - that means that they cannot see or hear. I have also met countless people with disabilites around the world who have inspired me with their courage and perseverance and who have not let thier disability prevent them from trying to lead a normal life, participate activley in society and provide income for themselves and their families.

If you want to be a nurse then don't let anyone stop you if its what you really want to achive - but be prepared to put the effort in yourself. There is help available for those who want it but noone is going to hand anything to you on a plate.

Please don't come on here whining that your mobile phone is an essential item in your life - becuase it makes you come accross as a lazy spoilt brat - instead go and do something you can be proud of - weather it be helping others throuh volunteering or helping yourself and your family throgh getting a job.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    Please don't come on here whining that your mobile phone is an essential item in your life - becuase it makes you come accross as a lazy spoilt brat - instead go and do something you can be proud of - weather it be helping others throuh volunteering or helping yourself and your family throgh getting a job.

Just for balance I think it was SG saying it was completely essential ;) the OP just didn't feel (or was asking us what we thought) if it was fair that her mum paid for her sisters but not hers. The general consensus was that it was fair because her sister is still at school. C'est la vie...
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Just for balance I think it was SG saying it was completely essential ;)
    If you think I was saying that, you're even more of a moron than I give you credit for.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    If you think I was saying that, you're even more of a moron than I give you credit for.

Aside from the unnecessary personal insult, what exactly did you mean then?
    As for a phone being a non-essential item, don't make me laugh.

Might want to watch that temper in future before you make yourself look dumb :p.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    stargalaxy wrote:

As for a phone being a non-essential item, don't make me laugh.

I assume he means this? I refuse to comment on any other aspects of this thread as I feel 'wasting my time' would be the appropriate phrase!
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Shyboy 1
    Stargalaxy 0
  • Options
    Owned
  • Options
    Aside from the unnecessary personal insult, what exactly did you mean then?
    There is a hell of a difference between saying a phone is a non-essential item, and the other extreme that it's an absolutely vital item to possess.
  • Options
    Owned

Totally.

Liberal Elite, anybody? :D
  • Options
    There is a hell of a difference between saying a phone is a non-essential item, and the other extreme that it's an absolutely vital item to possess.
    Not really...if it's not an absolutely vital item, then it is non-essential.

Also, I think saying that ShyBoy was a moron was a bit uncalled for, not just because of what he said, but because you implied that you thought it before and I'd like to see (recent, no digging, I think he knows he was a bit daft when he joined :p) your justification if that is true.
  • Options
    As it wasn't clear in my earlier posts- I don't have any problem with you not having a job, not wanting a job or feeling that you're unable to have or get a job at this time; the only reason I was stressing its importance was because you want a mobile phone, which I believe is a non-essential item and as a young adult you should pay for yourself. I'm not sure which but I think you may have a combo of a confidence, niavety and motivation problem as working as a volunteer will likely be as taxing as a job, yet you don't seem to see it that way.

The food issue is similar in my mind, your mum doesn't have to still support you at your age but she is, so you should be thankfull for that. I agree with the mod that you need to sit down with her and talk to her about what it is she is willing to provide, what it is you need that's missing, and how you can fill that gap. Gaining your independence is difficult for most people, I'm twenty-five and I still lean on my parents so... baby steps and you'll get there. If you haven't got any further with the benefits thing than you had in your previous thread about it, I really think you need to get some help, some kind of advocate.
  • Options

Of course, you implied it wasn't a non essential item though (with the 'dont make me laugh'). I just read that as "not non-essential" - cancel double negatives - "essential".

Hell if I took it the wrong way then fair enough, but look at the context of what I was saying. Briggi said it made the the OP sound a bit like a spoilt brat that she couldn't live without her phone, and I said the whole debate around the mobile phone didn't stem from her, the only one (I assumed wrongly, it appears) who was arguing it was essential was yourself. Hence the ';)' smiley for briggi as a tip that she's not calling people out for things they didn't say, and then the ':p' smiley after my response to you, to mean take it light heartedly and read what I'm writing in it's context before assuming it's a personal attack.
  • Options
    Of course, you implied it wasn't a non essential item though (with the 'dont make me laugh'). I just read that as "not non-essential" - cancel double negatives - "essential".

Hell if I took it the wrong way then fair enough, but look at the context of what I was saying. Briggi said it made the the OP sound a bit like a spoilt brat that she couldn't live without her phone, and I said the whole debate around the mobile phone didn't stem from her, the only one (I assumed wrongly, it appears) who was arguing it was essential was yourself. Hence the ';)' smiley for briggi as a tip that she's not calling people out for things they didn't say, and then the ':p' smiley after my response to you, to mean take it light heartedly and read what I'm writing in it's context before assuming it's a personal attack.

:confused:
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »

Try one of these, makes sense then...

spliff.jpg
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »

~Sorry, meant Wyetry :blush: lol
  • Options
    Of course, you implied it wasn't a non essential item though (with the 'dont make me laugh'). I just read that as "not non-essential" - cancel double negatives - "essential". Hell if I took it the wrong way then fair enough, but look at the context of what I was saying...
    I stopped quoting at that point, because I honestly have no idea what on earth you were rabbitting on about afterwards. :p I think what I should have said was that it's an important item - not strictly the same thing, but hardly an item which I could easily live without.
  • Options
    I stopped quoting at that point, because I honestly have no idea what on earth you were rabbitting on about afterwards. :p I think what I should have said was that it's an important item - not strictly the same thing, but hardly an item which I could easily live without.

What I said afterwards in a nutshell was that it wasn't a personal thing against you... I don't see why the moron comment was warranted. I dunno if you don't like me or whatever but why waste time arguing over something so silly?
  • Options
    What I said afterwards in a nutshell was that it wasn't a personal thing against you... I don't see why the moron comment was warranted. I dunno if you don't like me or whatever but why waste time arguing over something so silly?
    With hindsight, I think the moron remark was regrettable.
  • Options
    HAHA @ this thread.