Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Rambo (2008)

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Jim V wrote: »
    It's got Jane Fonda trying to convince an American soldier that the native villagers aren't really the bad guys, then just as he's convinced the entire village is massacred by American forces...

I think we can safely say it's about My Lai...

Thought so. Not too sure about Jane Fonda being in it though.
    My mistake - it's Candice Bergen - she has the Vietnam era Fonda style protester feel to her in the film though, at least in my memory :p
    Jim V wrote: »
    My mistake - it's Candice Bergen - she has the Vietnam era Fonda style protester feel to her in the film though, at least in my memory :p

Jimipedia..fallible :eek:
    Confused was how I felt coming out of the cinema - it seems like its trying to do two implicitly contradictory things.

And that is the contradiction that liberal and democratic values face. In that to protect these values and deliver them to people requires young men to practice values which are in direct contradiction to them

In the 30's talking to Hitler was a perfectly honourable thing to do and most of those who did it, honestly believed that discussion and compromise was the way forward for everyone. But to stop Hitler it actually required burning German cities to the ground and eviscerating Heer soldiers with explosive and fire.

Same as saying the Serbs were very naughty boys for raping the Bosnians and shooting dead Kosovans did nothing. It required boots on the ground and planes in the air.
    I don't think it's the use of violence Martin refers to - it's more how can a film be claiming to be an entertaining action movie and then also glory in the execution of babies and children. How it can be entertainment but take such glee in slicing the arms of villagers and stabbing pregnant women in the belly.

I don't think it's an arguement about the uses of violence to affect political change, but the reasons being some of the choices around who the film is actually trying to entertain.

I think that's the bizarre contradiction in the film that's so confusing in the film.
    ^^^^^:yes: what he said
    Ah well, regardless of all the previous 5 pages - I enjoyed the film. Thought it was entertaining enough for what it was. Went to see a Rambo movie. Left feeling satisfied that I had. Job done.

It was pretty graphic though, that's for sure!!