Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Substituting For Fruit And Veg

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have never been able to eat fruit, it's something to do with the texture I just can't get the stuff down my throat. I am the same with vegetables, I am not awkward, I want to eat the stuff but can't.

What is a good subsitute for the vitamins I am missing out on? I guess there's multivitamin tablets but which ones?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    MWF, sorry to say this, but there's no real substitute for fruit and veg. There's a lot more to it than vitamins and minerals, such as bioflavinoids and fibre, and so on.

Can you drink fruit smoothies and have vegetable soup or salad?

I would strongly suggest talking to your GP to get a referal to a good dietician - cutting out such a big food group is likely to be very harmful to your health.
    Karla - Thanks for the frank advice it is appreciated.

I have rarely come into contact with fruit or veg all my life. The only vegatables I get are baked patatos and the occasional carrot in a cornish pasty or letuce in a KFC Zinger burger. I have tried to improve but with little sucess.

I would say it is a texture problem more than anything, I guess I could try smoothies, or perhaps a drink?

I agree it can't be good for my health at all, I am quite dissapointed with my parents for not making sure I was eating properly at an earlier stage.
    I'm a vegetarian, so I eat lots of fruit and vegetables.

It might just be a case of getting used to eating more - I found that when I embarked onto vegetarianism, it was a big difference to my former diet, but the more you eat the more you like them.

I found that anyway.
    Yeah I agree, I didn't used to drink because I didn't like it but now I happily drink it throughout the day.

I have found some stuff called Chlorella which isn't a manufactured supliment, it is an algae which is incredably rich in the stuff needed in fruit and veg apparently.
    there are ways of hiding vegetables in food, if you were making a sauce or something you could always cook some vegetables such as carrots and peas and put them in the blender then add them to the sauce, thats one way i get my son to eat vegetables without him realising. fruit smoothies are also good, or just drinking fruit juice. what about veggie burgers - the ones made with proper vegetables and not the soya meat ones. i give my son those birds eye crispy vegetable fingers, which are like fish fingers but nicer, and theyve got carrots, peas sweetcorn and potato in them (We do eat meat, but have a lot of veggie stuff in the house too).
    Hey that's a bloody good idea! I didn't think about vegetarian food, I'm gonna find me some veggie burgers!
    Yes. Meat substitute meals are excellent and actually taste similar to normal meat.
    You can everything from sausages and bacon (!) to lasagnes and shepherd's pie. They contain the soya meat, but also many vegetables to accompany it. At least that way you would be eating a more balanced diet, with the vegetables and things, as opposed to meat all the time.
    Originally posted by Nostromo
    Yes. Meat substitute meals are excellent and actually taste similar to normal meat.
    You can everything from sausages and bacon (!) to lasagnes and shepherd's pie. They contain the soya meat, but also many vegetables to accompany it. At least that way you would be eating a more balanced diet, with the vegetables and things, as opposed to meat all the time.
    nah, whats the point of soya mince, may as well eat meat. much healthier to get the stuff that is made with actual vegetables.
    Originally posted by rainbow brite

nah, whats the point of soya mince, may as well eat meat. much healthier to get the stuff that is made with actual vegetables.

I'm a vegetarian.
    I meant that these meals contain soya meat and lots of cooked vegatables too, so you get a similar taste to meat but more variety in what you're actually eating. Or something.
    Have you considered fruit juices?

I do moderately like fruits, but I adore orange juice and English apple juice. The nuitritional intake is stays the same when converted to a juice. One 250ml glass will provide 100% rda in vit C.

There are vitamin suppliment pills, but always go for the real thing unless you are climbing Mt. Everest and you are short of space in your backpack. Or something along those lines.

For some reason, my post count has been 256 on my last two posts. I would like a moderator to PM me on anything that I've written offensively.
    Although meat substitutes (or vegetarian meat how I prefer to call them) are really great, fresh fruits and vegetables should be a huge part of your diet, unless you cannot eat them for some reasons we've discussed here. A good overview over the world's most popular vegetarian meat, links to get more information about them and some product-links are found here:
    http://www.futurefood.org/tofu/index_en.php
    I think this page is a really good introduction into vegetarian meat.
    six years old ... OP probably has rickets by now!