Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Juno

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
So after the moral atrocity that was Rambo, we get at last a film that just lifted my heart.

A smart, sassy and eminently empathetic set of characters combine in a successful interweaving of themes around teenage pregnancy, relationships and surrogacy.

Wholeheartedly recommend this to anyone.

Also, if you want to see more of the excellent Ellen Page, go and see Hard Candy (also great but different film).
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ah I hated Hard Candy. I love Juno! Soundtrack is great too. The Moldy Peaches :heart:
    So after the moral atrocity that was Rambo, we get at last a film that just lifted my heart.

A smart, sassy and eminently empathetic set of characters combine in a successful interweaving of themes around teenage pregnancy, relationships and surrogacy.

Wholeheartedly recommend this to anyone.

Wow, just wow. I find it incredibly difficult to accept why anyone would think this was a good film. It was trying so hard to be indie and cool, and oh my god, the teenage slang :banghead: there was so much of it, and most of it was bull.

Ellen Page is good and the guy who was going to be the adoptive dad is good, but the actual film :yuck:

I can't believe this won Oscar for best original screenplay - guess that just shows how crap the competition was.

I'm adopted, so maybe I see more in this film than most people, but oh my god. I cringed constantly the whole way through & towards the end, just fell to pieces and howled for god-knows-how-long. Thank god for pirated films online - if I'd been in the cinema, that would have been kinda embarassing.

I only watched it because there was so much hype about it, but I'd heard loads of adoptees saying it was awful, but figured I can't really diss it if I hadn't seen it, so I watched it. God, that was a bad idea.

So, sure, if you like films that are supposed to be realistic, but the characters have no emotions and are unbelievably unrealistic, you'll love this one :thumb:
    Hard Candy was an atrociously bad film, I don't even know where to begin with what was wrong about it. Ill-conceived at best.

As for Juno, I thought I would hate it... turned out I thought it was alright at best. But not worthy of the raves and not Oscar-worthy by any stretch of the imagination.

I thought the storyline and the idea of a tragi-comedy about teenage pregnancy was kind of interesting if a little badly read, but the dialogue (the reason so many people seem to "honest to blog" love it) ruined it for me. It was a case of over-egging the pudding I thought. I cannot stand that contrived, convoluted, deep-voiced, slurry-mumble speak that is in so prevalent in American films nowadays. I just find it so forced and overly self-aware and so obviously done for humour that it's not funny. Makes me feel a bit awkward if I feel I'm expected to laugh... and don't. That's just me, I guess. But yeah, I didn?t believe in her as a character and all I was concerned about was how scripted her dialogue sounded. I get she was supposed to be this feisty chick but it was OTT.

I thought it was well-acted, I was really charmed by Jennifer Garner which is a first for me! But the over-written, over-praised script was dripping with the "indie-cool quirkiness" that I really loathe. Not only did Juno have that, it had it in spades with leftovers. I couldn't help but feel that the whole point was to create an entry in the "all-new teenspeak" genre in the way that Clueless did, and Heathers before it.

I liked the burger phone though, I want one!
    Thundercats are go :thumb:
    :lol: but that isn't even the catchphrase! Someone got their Thunder cats and birds confused I think...

But yeah, another example of what got on my nerves. Would a 16 year old girl in 2007 really say that as her waters broke? No matter how edgy and referential she was... I'd say the answer is a resounding now. Juno sounded less like a 16 year old schoolkid and more like the 30-something scriptwriter. Nothing wrong with that, but it didn't ring true with me and I have to believe in a character to love them. One-liner-machines aren't so loveable for me.
    Whoops. I loved that line!!
    It was trying so hard to be indie and cool, and oh my god, the teenage slang there was so much of it, and most of it was bull.
    :yes:

This is a criticism that apparently has been levelled by a few people, and actually I can see that this might annoy some people. I accept that the dialogue was staged and probably doesn't reflect reality that well - but I thought of it as a literary device to get a particular adult's stylisation of the subject matter across, and I was just genuinely endeared to a set of characters in a teenage pregnancy drama.

Another criticism that might be levelled at it would be that all the musical and pop cultural settings are 1994-backwards (reflecting the life of the original author). Again this wasn't a problem for me because 1) plenty of teenagers pick a particular era of music to identify with that were not born into. 2) I love both eras of music that the two characters are obsessed with.

I just really enjoyed it.
    I've not seen it and I really want to, but I have to stick up for Hard Candy here (BRIGGI :p) because it was a brilliant film!

Juno looks good because Ellen Page is great, she has a fantastic stripy shirt on all the ads for it. What more do you want? :D
    it was a decent film, well acted, the script was like a off cast episode of dawsons creek however.

good film tho, very enjoyable. Ellen page was very good, not oscar deserving tho, i think the writer was lucky to get her oscar as well to be honest.

cant knock it too much tho, i love Michael Cera, playing the same old character tho

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: 4 thumbs out of 5
    I loved the chemistry between Michael Cera and Jason Bateman in Arrested Development, but as much as I'm trying to like the idea of the movie, something keeps me from wanting to see it.
    i thought it was mediocre, but the rest of the cinema seemed to love it, which probably stopped me from being objective cos i hate loud cinemagoers.

I hated the ending too
    I enjoyed it - but I'd agree that the movie was more a reflection of a Darleen from Rosanne, Buffy, Mallrats culture than modern America
    darleen :heart:

yeah i probably would have related to it more 15 years ago tbh. I dont think its aimed at my age group, but psychologies magazine gave it excellent review so i thought it would be ok.
    I also gotta be honest, good as an actor JK Simmons is (the guy playing Juno's dad) - I really can't get past him as Schillinger in OZ - I kept expecting him to beat Juno unconcious to make sure she hadn't kissed anyone black...
    I loved Juno, although it did make me want a baby :o.
    have one then!!! You can always give it away after :)
    have one then!!! You can always give it away after :)
    I wouldn't want to give it away though. And Rich wouldn't let me either way :grump:.