Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

First month's pay?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How is your first month's pay in a job usually worked out?

I'm on an annual salary, and I started the job on the 11th of Feb. I'm trying to work out how much I'm going to get paid at the end of this month. Would it be my monthly salary divided into the working days (multiplied by the days I worked), or monthly salary divided into the number of days in the month, and then multiplied by days I was employed?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Where I work, we do your annual salary, divided by twelve (months) then that divided by the number of days in the month (in this case, 29), times the number of days you didn't work there. Then take that figure from the first one to deduct the days of the month you weren't working there (ie the first ten). The way our payroll software works t pays the full month automatically so we have to put in a deduction of the days you didn't work.

Example: if your annual salary is £12k, divide by 12 = £1k, divide by 29 (days) = £34.48. £34.48 x 10 (1st to 10th) = £344.80. £1000 - £344.80 = £655.20 for your Feb pay packet.

Obviously other places might do it other ways, depending on your contacted hours or other things.. Hope the above helps a bit :)
    minus tax, NI, & don't forget your non-taxable income!
    It really depends on the firm, best thing to do is to ask them, they will know (hopefully). If not though, as Crystal Tipps says, often it is worked out daily from your total salary, and you are paid for those days worked.

However, mine was paid very differently, make sure you let them know your tax situation, as BritJamez touched on. If like myself you have not worked previously, or not very much, then you are due a lot of tax free wages. This means much more cash in your pocket :thumb:
    BritJamez wrote: »
    minus tax, NI, & don't forget your non-taxable income!

I shouldn't be paying tax until April, as I haven't worked. They've put me on an emergency tax code, though.

On £14k, my gross pay for this month is £833.33. I'm not sure how they got that number. £43.82 NI and £65.03 tax to pay, though - I should get the £65 back.