Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Trains & tube

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
maybe a good question for JST :D

Can you use a travelcard on the mainline trains aswell as the London Underground?

If I was traveling Wimbledon to London Victoria, I could get the tube or the train, but are very different in price.

Any ideas
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Normal issue travelcards issued on paper tickets are valid on all National Rail services within the applicable zones with the exception of Heathrow Express, Heathrow Connect (Except between Hayes & Harlington and Heathrow) and Stansted Express (IIRC).

Oyster is a whole other ball game.

Edit: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/Tube-DLR-Trams-and-Train-Travelcard-zones-Map.pdf map shows exactly which National Rail stations are in which zone.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    OK,

so whats the best way for me to commute everyday from Wimbledon to London Victoria? Oyster, Season Ticket ???

I'm fucking clueless.
    it depends where you want to go to at the other end - if you want to go on a tube or a bus then probably a travelcard which you can get either as a paper ticket from the trainstation or on an oyster from a tube station both are valid for travel.

If you don't need to get a tube then just a seaon ticket will do - most employers will give you a season ticket loan which makes the cost of purchasign one even cheaper (you can also use for travel cards)
    Might be worth mentioning that Wimbledon is only served by SWT trains and they all run into Waterloo - at peak time there is a train every 3-5 minutes, the trip can be done to Victoria easily by changing at Clapham Junction but hardly the most friendliest place for a quick interchange.

As for personal opinions on which is easiest I couldn't be too certain, as I haven't commuted myself into London! Season tickets Wimbledon - London terminals is £17.60 Week/£67.60 Month/£704 year - without LU but you can add that too for £120.00 a year (pro-rata for monthtly). Oyster may be easier, PAYG is not valid on National Rail services to Wimbledon but an Oyster Travelcard IS valid on all National Rail services with the exceptions as above subjects to zones again.
    Might be worth mentioning that Wimbledon is only served by SWT trains and they all run into Waterloo - at peak time there is a train every 3-5 minutes, the trip can be done to Victoria easily by changing at Clapham Junction but hardly the most friendliest place for a quick interchange.

:yes:

Also bearing in mind the district line - I have friends in West London and for them it can be a huge pain in the arse.
    go_away wrote: »
    :yes:

Also bearing in mind the district line.

Is it really busy, worse then other tube lines?
    I have a friend who lives on the Wimbledon branch and she says about 1 in 5 trains are Wimbledon branch ones, then depending on which one you get on, it stops in the tunnel while another one goes past. Being totally insular, it's not a problem for me as whenever I'm visiting, I'm not in a hurry, but if I was a commuter in that area I'd find it really stressful.
    Wimbledon - Upminster is 6tph currently from what I can see, the main problem with the District Line (according to industry rags we get sent through) is all the trains coming from the branches meeting and having to be regulated (put in the right order) to be sent through the 'busy section'.

Although it will be one of the new lines to get the new stock in 2009-2010 with aircon and connecting doors and other little bits. I'd scan the page from the booklet but too much effort really.