Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Where to live in London

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
OK.

I'm going to start working in central London and looking for some ideas of where to live.

My first idea was Wimbledon, cos i like Tennis :p

I think I would rather live in South London (cos its cheaper) and somewhere on the tube network. I have lived in East Finchley/ Highgate and quite liked the green spaces and oasis from the busy city.

Anyone got any ideas of place to live in London, any little jems I'm missing out on?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Come to the south, my pretty :D

What sort of budget would you be thinking of - you don't have to say, just have a number in your head, as the south can vary quite a bit. If you have money to spare, I'd always recommend the Clapham/Wandsworth Common/Balham area, although my boyfriend and I have just moved to Streatham Hill and I absolutely love it (the train takes 20 mins to get to Victoria, and I always get a seat)
    Well I would be housesharing for the short to medium term future. I wouldn't wanna spend anymore to £600 a month at the moment.

I have heard good things about Balham, but don't know much about it. Clapham is nice and very in vogue (maybe expensive). I'm going to have to try and visit some places, I like places I get a feel for.

Whats areas should I avoid ?
    Balham is nice, it has good links to the centre, my boyfriend's friend lives there and the area is pretty and peaceful, with it's own network of shops/bars/pubs. Much as I love Clapham Common, to live there is getting very expensive, and areas like Balham are just as good, with the bonus of Clapham only being a short bus ride away.

There isn't anywhere I'd tell you to avoid like the plague. If you like the trendy areas like Clapham/Balham, then places like Brixton Hill and Streatham Hill may not be for you (I had my reservations about Streatham Hill but they turned out to be moving niggles). It's not as far south, but I'm not too keen on areas like Elephant and Castle/Kennington and Stockwell. That's my own personal taste though. My boyfriend hates Clapham Junction with a passion, I don't find it too bad, it can seem really crowded and loud at times, but that's just the general nature of the place. I like it because it has a Fresh n' Wild (and the Clapham Grand of course)

I don't know much about Clapham North or South besides the shops/farmers market etc, but again, the transport links are ok. Northern line can be packed in the morning though, I was glad to switch to the overline.

In terms of any long term investment, I think they're planning on extending the Victoria line further into Streatham and investors have been buying up a lot of Streatham Hill (our flat is a 2 year old development, it used to be a cinema).
    Good stuff. Cheers :thumb:
    The Kingston/Wimbledon areas are mainly lovely but stupidly expensive.
    Greenwich - i'm biased though!
    It's grim down Norf, Saaf and East London.

West London's where it's at :D
    North London! I can't see why people wouldn't want to live in North London. You've got loads of culture, diversity, great places to go out (camden/upper st and shoreditch etc pretty close), brilliant transport links, some green spots - hampstead heath etc, and it's generally cheaper to rent there (eg. in places like Finsbury Park, Hackney etc).

But if you do insist on going for South London, stay well away from Clapham, unless you like tossers with too much money who think they're still at university.
    North London :yes:

Where in central London? See which tube lines go there the fastest and where they end up so the commute is easier for you.
    Pink Soda wrote: »
    Stay well away from Clapham, unless you like tossers with too much money who think they're still at university.

Perfect :D

Nah, I dont fancy Clapham. North London is good and I do know my way around North London so I might look at moving back to the Highgate/ East Finchley area because its somewhere im familiar with.

Just cant stand the Northern Line at rush hour though.
    Calvin wrote: »
    Just cant stand the Northern Line at rush hour though.

To be fair mate, they're all pretty bad at rush hour. Picadilly and Central lines are ok at peak hours but Northern and District/Circle are fucking terrible; the latter being my route to work.