Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The Wire

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Has anyone else got sucked into this top quality US import?

So many people, so many story lines - its a dense novel of a tv drama!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    budda wrote: »
    Has anyone else got sucked into this top quality US import?

So many people, so many story lines - its a dense novel of a tv drama!

Not yet, but my friend read a thing about it in The Guardian and decided to buy the boxset based on that alone. He raves about it all the time.

I'll get the DVDs off him after I hand in my dissertation next month.
    Really want to watch it. Charlie Brooker raves about it a lot.
    Really want to watch it. Charlie Brooker raves about it a lot.

Of course he does, not only is he generally fantastic but he knows good TV, and this is top notch entertainment.
    Best show on TV. Too bad it's finishing after season 5- I've been watching since the beginning. So realistic, and the character depth and plot lines are so good. Oh, I love HBO! First Oz and Homicide then the SATC and the Soprano's, now the Wire...
    Of course he does, not only is he generally fantastic but he knows good TV, and this is top notch entertainment.

Charlie Brooker is amazing
    Homicide was NBC I think, certainly a network not HBO ;) Oz came after as Tom Fontana's next show - there's actually an episode of Homicide that's a direct inspiration for the series with many of the same actors.

But yeah, The Wire has been incredible - after so many years watching it it's going to be sad to say goodbye. Not expecting it to be an easy ride though - as David Simon said when asked for his view of life 'Everything you love will fuck you in the end' - so I'm not expect McNulty or Omar to get out alive.
    It's a catch-22, I'm looking forward to seeing how they end it... but I don't want it to end.

I love The Wire, really filled a void and now it's finishing too :grump: My brother and his mates in Hamburg love it so much they want to start filming their own version. They figure they've got docks and prostitutes so the scripts must write themselves :razz:
    Charlie Brooker is amazing

He's got a couple of books out that are worth reading.
    Jim V wrote: »
    But yeah, The Wire has been incredible - after so many years watching it it's going to be sad to say goodbye. Not expecting it to be an easy ride though - as David Simon said when asked for his view of life 'Everything you love will fuck you in the end' - so I'm not expect McNulty or Omar to get out alive.

They are both on the road to nowhere arent they, all they've got is 'the game'.
    Except at least Omar's playing the game he always has - McNaulty's in a new game far beyond his whiskey soaked ability to stay on top...

Can not wait for each new episode
    He's got a couple of books out that are worth reading.

ah are they about television?
    ah are they about television?

Yep, they are selections of his Guardian work.
    Jim V wrote: »
    Except at least Omar's playing the game he always has - McNaulty's in a new game far beyond his whiskey soaked ability to stay on top...

Can not wait for each new episode

I'm only coming up to the end of series 3, so that hints at all kinds of things. I must find series 4!
    Oh yeah, forgot Homicide wasn't HBO...I think that HBO static opening is just ingrained into my mind now!

Just seen the penultimate episode. Best one out of season 5 so far... bit sad and kind of a shocker too...cannot wait until Monday when the last one comes out!
    I make it two more episodes... Late Editions and -30-

And the last episode is being directed by Clark Johnson :) He's the newspaper editor in the latest season, and of course the detective from Homicide - a perfect circle to end it on.