Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Are you going to U.A.E?...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
...you'll be staying for 1-3!...(years)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7234786.stm

So if anyone is going anywhere near there? Take this into account.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I saw that in the news today, bit OTT in my opinion, but its their rules.
    Bit OTT in my opinion.

I've heard similar stories in Thailand, but are Thailand more strict? Is is that with just illegal drugs?
    Melian wrote: »
    Bit OTT in my opinion.

I've heard similar stories in Thailand, but are Thailand more strict? Is is that with just illegal drugs?

Bye the sounds of that article, if your caught with some Lemsip and Vicks vapor rub you will be lucky to be home this decade. :D
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Somebody should have told Grooverider.
    Weekender Offender 
    its just the UAE saying "we can do what we want and you cant stop us cause we provide with all your oil"
    F uck buying a bread roll at heathrow
    Somebody should have told Grooverider.

i heard him tell that story on radio 1
    fuck i think thats harsh...my brother travels to dubai every couple of weeks on business i must tell him to check the soles of his shoes before he goes next time!
    Calvin wrote: »
    I saw that in the news today, bit OTT in my opinion, but its their rules.

A BIT over the top?! Jailing someone for poppy seeds?! And stuff found stuck to someone's shoe?! Chances are it did not belong to them.....

I don't think i'll be visiting there any time soon......
    I am somewhat mystified how the UAE has become this lovely holiday destination, it is in reality a fairly nasty dictatorship, with nothing even close to fair trials or Police you could vauguely trust.
    budda wrote: »
    I am somewhat mystified how the UAE has become this lovely holiday destination, it is in reality a fairly nasty dictatorship, with nothing even close to fair trials or Police you could vauguely trust.

Its all to do with PR though - most people don't see much beyond the 7 star hotels.
    flippin heck Grooverider got 4 years - i crryyy
    Grooverider got 4 fucking years...and by U.A.E standards he got off light. Yet khat chewing is ok because its seen as 'Islamic'.

The cop out statement by Radio 1 angered me..."Grooverider has paid a very high price for a serious mistake"...no, Grooverider has been imprisoned by a totally draconian and insane legal system; still, BBC can't be seen to be soft on drugs.
    Need to neutron bomb the country. Hotels and shit would be a shame to waste.
    When in Rome... he's 40 years old and shouldn't need anybody to tell him, he should have found out the rules for himself before he went!
    he should have found out the rules for himself before he went!

Well quite; whether or not we agree with the legal codes is one thing, but you always need to be sure you stay onside whenever you go abroad.
    Well quite; whether or not we agree with the legal codes is one thing, but you always need to be sure you stay onside whenever you go abroad.

Exactly. In real terms the Police in the UK are very liberal compared to a lot of the World, they will rarely beat you up (routine in some parts), and are relatively honest.
    Luce wrote: »
    When in Rome... he's 40 years old and shouldn't need anybody to tell him, he should have found out the rules for himself before he went!

Eh, what? Not carrying things like cocaine and heroin into another country is pretty obvious, but have you seen the UAE's list of banned substances? Compariltively weak substances you can buy over the counter and wouldn't think twice about using are outlawed due to "abuse potential". Even some acne cream is banned under their law. Rumour has it Allah just can't stand clear skin.

Otherwise I agree with you. The guy who ate a bread roll at Heathrow definitely should have cleared it with their embassy beforehand.
    Rumour has it Allah just can't stand clear skin.

Be careful; despots just need excuses, not justifications. Its not all to do with Islam, its alot to do with power and Islam provides a decent crutch alot of the time.
    Be careful; despots just need excuses, not justifications. Its not all to do with Islam, its alot to do with power and Islam provides a decent crutch alot of the time.

That's the beauty of sardonic, facetious comments; they don't need to factually accurate.
    ok fair enough
    I don't know why anyone goes to U.A.E. (Dubai in particular)... it's legal system is absolutely draconian, it's not a particuarly pretty country (compared to say Thailand) and Dubai is just a big mall. I think that the drug laws are absurd there, and I don't know what they're trying to achieve by enforcing them.
    I think that the drug laws are absurd there, and I don't know what they're trying to achieve by enforcing them.

They are trying to achieve the very same thing as our government, they are just more extreme - the prohibition mindset is the same its just the punishments which are different.
    I don't know why anyone goes to U.A.E. (Dubai in particular)...

Some people don't have a choice if it's a stop-over for Australia/New Zealand. My girlfriend will be stopping there this summer and half her medication (including the birth control she's on) is on their banned list.