Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

banning under 16s from drinking tea

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/02/16/ntea116.xml
What does everyone think? I've drank tea for as long as I remember and it's never done me any harm. If "health and safety" reasons also mean you could scald yourself on the water surely most things that we use day to day can be dangerous.

Comments

• Options
    I think it's ridiculous. At my McDonalds we aren't allowed to serve Happy Meals with hot drinks because of Health and Safety, even if we know that the person eating it is older, and while I understand it, I still think it's a bit silly.

I think that once kids get to high school they're old enough to know that hot water hurts. And I thought tea was meant to be really good for you anyway?
  • Options
    Oh for fuck's sake. :|
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    At my McDonalds we aren't allowed to serve Happy Meals with hot drinks because of Health and Safety
    Rather ironic, given that the Happy Meal itself is probably more dangerous... :D
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Rather ironic, given that the Happy Meal itself is probably more dangerous... :D
    Especially at my McD's :o:p.

We're not allowed to let mothers who want to warm up baby food take the cup of hot water to the table either though. They have to come back when they think it's ready, which is annoying when it's busy :(.
  • Options
    According to the article there's no plan to ban.

The thing that makes me laugh most is the "minimal nutritional value" of tea and coffee that they go on about. Coffee, yeah, but tea? It's proven to be good for you with the antioxidants in it.

And I didn't realise that water had any nutritional value either.
  • Options
    Franki wrote:
    Especially at my McD's .

We're not allowed to let mothers who want to warm up baby food take the cup of hot water to the table either though. They have to come back when they think it's ready, which is annoying when it's busy .
    It's all sad and pathetic isn't it.

Unfortunately such policies are actually brought up by the public's shameless actions of suing for just about anything. The infamous case a few years ago of a woman in America who sued McDonalds (and won!) because *she* dropped a coffee on her legs as she was driving and the coffee was "too hot" is as good an example as any.

All this nonsense could be avoided if legislation was introduced so when somebody is taking the piss a judge could rule against them and fine them 1000 times their compensation claim figure for general cuntiness.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    It's all sad and pathetic isn't it.

Unfortunately such policies are actually brought up by the public's shameless actions of suing for just about anything. The infamous case a few years ago of a woman in America who sued McDonalds (and won!) because *she* dropped a coffee on her legs as she was driving and the coffee was "too hot" is as good an example as any.

All this nonsense could be avoided if legislation was introduced so when somebody is taking the piss a judge could rule against them and fine them 1000 times their compensation claim figure for general cuntiness.
    I know, which is why I understand that we have the rules. Doesn't make it any less ridiculous, like, but it is understandable. Especially given some of the people that come to the place >.<.
  • Options
    Yet another story of something being 'banned' by health and safety when in reality its got nothing to do with it.

You could quite easily give under 16's tea, and mothers cups of hot water without fear of litigation - you just have to take 'reasonable precautions'.

99% of the stories against health and safety are because the laws are written badly and companies dont know what to do.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    According to the article there's no plan to ban.

The thing that makes me laugh most is the "minimal nutritional value" of tea and coffee that they go on about. Coffee, yeah, but tea? It's proven to be good for you with the antioxidants in it.

And I didn't realise that water had any nutritional value either.

Well tea is just flavoured water with milk - I'd rather have tea than water any day! It's just silly.
  • Options
    I don't think it's advocating we should ban tea from school kids, just look at it. Other drinks such as coke and the like which don't offer good nutritional benefits are restricted, so why is tea as exception? Yes I think restricting it would be ridiculous too.

Agree with budda, it's a sensationalism of something ordinary - a report into foods and drinks in schools - and making a big hoohah out of nothing. Despite the title of the article, read the direct quote:
    The School Food Trust said yesterday that it had no plans to ban tea and cofee in schools.

Even though they've spelt coffee wrong, they're talking out of their arses. That would be like me doing a report on health and safety, and saying the potential angers of football were that kids could fall over - and someone reading that and saying 'OMG THEYRE GOING TO BAN FOOTBALL'. It's better to be thorough in reports than dismiss things out of hand, and that's all it was doing.