Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Photography

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anybody here take snaps for a living, or have any knowledge of it? Any clues how you might get started?

I'm trying to assess how viable it is as a career option at the moment. I'm not bothered about earning megabucks, just enough. The thing I want most is to wake up in the morning and not have the following emotion when I realise it's a work day: :crying:

Comments

• Options
    Adult education where I live offer relatively cheap courses in it. Might be worth to have a look :)
  • Options
    Kaffin i'm gonna send you a pm because i dont particularly posting links to other sites publicly, but i have an idea.
  • Options
    Adult education where I live offer relatively cheap courses in it. Might be worth to have a look :)

Aye, that was my first thought, but the local college isn't running the course this term because of a lack of interest :grump: and the ones in Leeds etc all seem to be full for the forseeable. Most frustrating.
  • Options
    I have a couple of friends who are photographers - errr i'd say that you wont' earn megga bucks and in many cases unless you are the most brilliant photographer in the world your going to be stuck taking photographs of things like wedding, family portraits, photo's of peoples pets and photos for corporate magazines.

But dont' let that necessarily put you off - but i wouldnt' go into it thinking your going to end up doing glamourus things all the time
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    your going to be stuck taking photographs of things like wedding, family portraits, photo's of peoples pets and photos for corporate magazines.

That's exactly the kind of thing I want to do! Glamour scares me :(
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    I have a couple of friends who are photographers - errr i'd say that you wont' earn megga bucks and in many cases unless you are the most brilliant photographer in the world your going to be stuck taking photographs of things like wedding, family portraits, photo's of peoples pets and photos for corporate magazines.

But dont' let that necessarily put you off - but i wouldnt' go into it thinking your going to end up doing glamourus things all the time

I wouldn't be 100% sure.

My brother did lots of photography and never did weddings and the like, he put his photos with an agency, who are then approached by people looking for a particular photograph and the agency took a cut and he got royalties. It wasn't a constant earner but if you have enough photos you can end up with relatively big paychecks, some months it would be 4 figures.

He waived his fee for some photos used on posters after 9/11 of the twin towers - said he regretted it in some ways afterwards because the posters were put literally everywhere and he would have got megabucks.

But yea, he didn't tend to have photos of an artistic garden pot, but the eiffel tower, pyramids, etc. - and it was just a kind of 'hardcore pastime' for him rather than his day job.
  • Options
    You can make some money doing stock photography. There's a lot of websites you can put up a portfolio on. If your shots are good enough they will get used. Obviously you only get micro-money but in theory it adds up, and it could act as a staging point for other work.

If you're interested in going pro, I'd suggest first off get yourself a domain and some hosting space and get a simple gallery up. Fill it with the sort of shots you want to take. That by itself won't do anything, but it's a place to direct people to if they want to see some of your existing work.

I'd also suggest getting involved in online photog forums and the like. www.dpchallenge.com have a fairly active one (US centric and mainly just talking about the challenges on the web site but also useful for snippets.)
  • Options
    And of course if you want some practice doing stock photography and help us out at the same time...

http://www.thesite.org/chooseaction/virtualvolunteering/searches?searchType=locations&id=889289

/spammage
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Jim V wrote: »
    And of course if you want some practice doing stock photography and help us out at the same time...

http://www.thesite.org/chooseaction/virtualvolunteering/searches?searchType=locations&id=889289

/spammage
    Whats going on with the photos Jim?

I havent uploaded any in a while actually, will have to get some more up soon for you.
  • Options
    Got a media lawyer looking over the model release at the moment. Once that's in place we'll be able to go from what's been the pilot stage to a more full blown use of the volunteers.

Fundamentally this'll mean, and to be fair I'm now using your thread as a to do list Kaffrin (sorry...) -

* Encouraging volunteers to photograph friends in a variety of emotional states (staged of course, don't actually want you to depress your mates :p ) - these are the images it's almost impossible to find through stock sites. The model release will make this possible.

* The collection of the url's of any portfolios/flickr accounts/facebook albums volunteers wanted their name linked to.

* The creation of a recognition page in the About Us section naming all the volunteers and providing links to their own work if wanted.

* The photo account being introduced to the whole Digitial Interactive Services Operational team (that's editorial, community and new projects) to show them how to search for images they can use.

* The introduction of authour fields for the large images used on sub-sub homepages (such as http://www.thesite.org.uk/healthandwellbeing/generalhealth ) - so that a 'Image provided by James Taylor' can be added for images of trains in the winter ;) This can also be linked to links photographers have provided.

* The long process of spending a few hours a week tagging images to make searching them easier.

* Reviewing recruitment to boost the numbers

* The creation of a monthly update to all the photographers to highlight where images have been used and encourage more to be taken - as well as asking for specific images to meet the needs of new sections or developments on the website.

But mostly waiting on the lawyers at the moment man :)
  • Options

/spammage

Done :)

Shocked by your use of my thread though!
  • Options
    so that a 'Image provided by James Taylor' can be added for images of trains in the winter ;) This can also be linked to links photographers have provided.

* The long process of spending a few hours a week tagging images to make searching them easier.

You cheeky git :p

If you want anyone to help you out with tagging and stuff then give me a shout. :D
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote: »
    Shocked by your use of my thread though!

Sorry again :blush:
  • Options
    Sorry again :blush:

You better mean that as well you cunt! :p

(PS: Sorry Kaff for using your thread to verbally abuse Jim :D)
  • Options
    I will forgive you both on this occasion.
  • Options
    Already got a camera, and currently spend half my life either taking pictures or tinkering with them! I've read books and magazines, and I guess I have a fair understanding of what's going on. What I need is some guidance from a real person with loads of experience, which I guess is why I thought of the course.

There are loads of course advertised in the back of photography mags, but I'm not sure how worthwhile they'd be.
  • Options
    What type of photography do you want to do?
    Weddings? photos for catalogues like Argos or something? I always fancied food photography, like for packaging. that looks like fun.

I also looking into Venture, but you need a degree in photography and then they send you to "venture school" to teach you how to do it their way. If you are interested in that kind of photography you could contact photography firms, off the top of my head there is that one called Dorchester Ledbetter in Leeds on North Street but I'm sure there are plenty more :)
  • Options
    I'm not totally sure yet. I like the idea of portraits (fun and/or arty, not your general school photo kind of affair) and weddings, but weddings are scary for a newbie, because it's their BIG DAY, and it's a lot of pressure. One of my friends does a spot of modelling, so I've been thinking about asking her if she's like to pose for me and I can see how it goes and maybe build me a spot of a portfolio. I also have access to free pets and small children for experimenting purposes.

I'd love to just go back to uni and study it full time, but not really feasible financially. I did a few modules on photography and visual comms for my degree, but even I can't creative write that into any real qualification!
  • Options
    If you want people to pose for you then if you are free to travel to my parent's house I have a really photography obsessed sister with hundreds of clothes who loves to pose ;)
    Have you looked for adverts for places? I'd really like to do photography as a career but I think it's even less feasible for me than it is for you :(
  • Options
    I guess the first place to start is to just get a portfolio going. Join some photography forums where you can post your work and have more experienced photographers give you specific tips on how to improve them. And bear in mind that if you're willing to work for free, or cost price, any company will be willing to let you design posters or take photos for their website, because no matter how much of a beginner you are, your photos will be better than the point-and-click photos that companies normally take. Not that I'm suggesting you're shit of course. Oh, and hang out with other photographers and make-up artists (quick tip: plenty of people who work behind the counters in department stores are aspiring make-up artists).
  • Options
    I'm starting a night time college course next year, start off doing a BTEC level 1 and eventually after a few years get to a level 3.
    I don't think it'll ever be a career, but certainly something I can do on my days off to earn some extra money.

I've just taken a few publicity shots for our local bobbies for use on the website as well, although I won't get paid for them and they're hardly pro status, it's all practice. I've got a couple of mates at work who are into it, one of them has started doing weddings so he's gonna let me apprentice for him to build up a portfolio.
  • Options
    I have heard a few people recommend shadowing a pro wedding photog for a while if you want to take that up. Be a dogsbody carrying kit or whatnot whilst you pick up the tricks of how to arrange folk and what shots to take. Obviously to do that though you need to find a willing pro to shadow.
  • Options
    This might be crap advice but I'd pop down to a proper photography shop and get talking with the owners. It just occurred to me because in music shops they sometimes advertise tutoring and classes.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    *books you*

You may book me whenever you wish! :p
  • Options
    I'm doing a short introduction to black and white photography when I finish college - It's something I want to do as a hobby and I constantly find myself looking at something and thinking god I wish I had a camera.

And If I find a talent I will help you thesite!!