Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Money - do people really earn silly amounts after uni?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kazbo wrote: »
    about the most you'll earn from cs as a grad is £35k and that's in London. out of London £25k is average/just above average.

good luck getting salaries like that without experience
  • Options
    Hazman wrote: »
    i was thinking of another type of course, what about computer science or management? in uni

I think whatever degree you take as long as you work hard and get good experience then you can go down many different routes that can inevitably end up well paid.
  • Options

Really...that's what me and all my mates have walked out of uni into. Ok the majority of us have a year in industry as part of our degree but that in generally is all the experience we've got. Was pretty standard for all the grad jobs in the IT industry that I looked at.
  • Options
    promethean wrote: »
    I've not heard of anyone starting on £250,000 as a graduate. Bonus and salary for first year analysts at investment banks last year (which was a record year for most banks) did not far exceed £100,000. Most lawyers fresh out of law school start on £36,000 and after two years as a trainee may launch up to c. £125,000 for the top American firms in the city. As for private equity and hedge funds, graduates will be on an income broadly comparable to the investment banks- it is only the partners in equity that make the multi-million figures we're accustomed to goggle at in the papers. I suppose only entrepreneurs are likely to exceed the £250,000 figure, say the creators of facebook, or some other technological venture.
    Nobody said about anyone starting on £250k straight after graduation. My bank just had the bonus numbers released last week, for my division they were:
    1st Year Grads: £38k salary, £40-55k bonus = £78-93k (+ £5k golden handshake)
    2nd Year Grads: £45k salary, £100-150k bonus = £145-195k
    3rd Year Grads (1st Year Associates): £61k salary, £175-250k bonus = £236-311k

Just had lunch with a friend from another bank who gave very similar numbers. Also note that a lot of people have side ventures outside the office, for example involved in real estate, investing, running a small start-up firm etc.. so yes it's entirely possible to make £200k+ a couple of years after graduating, if you go into a good profit-generating area at a top bank.

Also I'm sure there's a lot of grads at hedge funds who make more as their pay is not restricted/capped by HR guidelines as they are for grads the first 2-3 years.

(Awaits Kermit to say that anyone who works in a bank is scum of the earth and doesn't know how we sleep at night).
    Entirely possible to start on that as a fresh new graduate with just a little bit of experience - like a 2 month summer work placement.
  • Options
    Kazbo wrote: »
    Really...that's what me and all my mates have walked out of uni into. Ok the majority of us have a year in industry as part of our degree but that in generally is all the experience we've got. Was pretty standard for all the grad jobs in the IT industry that I looked at.

Lots of multinationals are closer to 20K
  • Options
    and as I said, without experience

not a year, or 2 months lol
  • Options
    and as I said, without experience

not a year, or 2 months lol

There's plenty of the grads I started with on the same wage as me with no experience. For a grad job they don't ask for experience, yes it helps to get the job, no denying that, but it is very possible to get them without as well and more than 2 years experience and you can't apply for grad jobs.

I suppose it depends what section of the IT industry you're looking at, but the lowest grad salary I saw for my area was 23k.
  • Options
    umm can anyone give me information on stock brokers or investment brokers? :)
  • Options

yes, don't bother you'll be out of a job before long :p
  • Options
    Hi mate,

I work with stockbrokers on a daily basis. If you want to go into it you need to do research on where to work, as there's tons of stockbrokers but only a few good, lots shit.

If you're a stockbroker somewhere like Goldman Sachs, Citigroup, Morgan Stanley, then your clients will be the world's biggest investment institutions -fund managers like M&G, Schroder, Threadneedle, Fidelity, hedge funds like Marshall Wace, GLG, and other banks prop desks. This is fucking awesome - you'll be taking million-euro+ orders every time, and the pay is as good as if you were doing investment banking at a top firm.

Then you've got smaller independent stockbrokers like Brewin Dolphin, where you're dealing with smaller clients like high net worth individuals. So you're doing the same job, but smaller orders going through (maybe £100,000 order investments at best), therefore your commission is much smaller.

And then you've got a ton of shitty "boiler room" firms - the ones bordering on the wrong side of the law where you're a pushy salesperson cold-calling pensioners forcing them to invest in random companies.

So basically it's the same job, the same hours, but you actually end up being paid a lot better at a top firm than a bottom one - and at the bottom one there's often much more pressure to be a pushy salesman than a top firm where business comes in anyway.

I think it's fairly easy to become a stockbroker compared to an investment banker etc because there's not so many people wanting to do it, competition per places etc. Go to a good uni, ideally do something like Economics or Finance (altho History etc is still fine), and do loads of stuff to help your selling and communicating skills - working at a call centre whilst at uni is actually good useful experience.

And as for the person who said stockbrokers won't have a job soon, wrong. My firm has just had mass firings - 90% of them in credit, bonds, insurance etc, next to none in stocks. It's actually one of the most immune professions in banking to credit crunch, recession etc, because the clients you deal with will always have multi billion assets under management in equity funds to manage, whatever is happening with the market. They have rules of the fund that you can't just switch all the funds out of equity into gold etc just because there's a downturn in the market. In 2001-3 when the downturn happened it was their job to find equities more resilient to macroeconomic trends (ie be flat to slightly down vs a tanking market). Whatever is happening in the market, there is always business to be made in (a) foreign exchange and (b) equities.

Hope that helps mate.
  • Options
    thanks for that, i was wondering what other courses can be done for a stock broker, i just need a bit of help really to decide which one would be best for me to go into, ananyone help me out here, and just tel me which o the professions is the best to go into.