Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Eek

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I currently work in Primark and I absolutely loathe it, I'm paid absolute peanuts because I'm 17, and I hate everything about the job. And they treat us like kids, and it's like being at school.
I really want a new job, but it took me about 2 years just to get this one. So any tips on what I should put in my CV? I want a job I'll enjoy, but I doubt it'll happen anytime soon.

Comments

• Options
    i think if you've had retail experience before you shouldnt struggle too much to find another retail job providing they have vacancies and you aint looking for odd hours.

best bet is to pop round a few places and ask if they have anything going!!

good luck
  • Options
    Make yourself a cover letter. I've been using one for a few years now and it's really helped me. I have the cover letter on the front giving a brief description of everything about my working knowledge etc and under it a CV.

I really rate cover letters to be honest.
  • Options
    Is there not something you want to do. You say you want to do a job you'll enjoy. Well what dya think you would enjoy??
  • Options
    Well, somewhere like a music shop or something interesting.
  • Options
    well i guess on your cv you just need to really emphasise the skills you have. working in primark means you have experience so i wouldnt have thought it'd be too difficult to get a job in another shop - particularly as i'd imagine primarks quite busy and challenging. so maybe have a section on your cv that says 'skills gained from employment' then write things such as, can work well under pressure, provide excellent customer service etc with a sentence to back it up.
  • Options
    Well I work in the second biggest Primark in the UK, on customer services, so yeah, it's pretty busy. I'm pants at bigging myself up and I wouldn't know where to start at writing a CV. Any useful sites?
  • Options
    __tink wrote: »
    Well I work in the second biggest Primark in the UK, on customer services, so yeah, it's pretty busy. I'm pants at bigging myself up and I wouldn't know where to start at writing a CV. Any useful sites?

Personally I think it sounds a great job.
    Dont you get first pick of everything??
  • Options
    Yeah, but I don't really like the clothes to be honest! I honestly feel like I'm back at school - theres a uniform, not aloud any colour in our hair, no piercings, no tattoos, they're really strict. I just want abit more freedom.
  • Options
    Yeah, but I don't really like the clothes to be honest! I honestly feel like I'm back at school - theres a uniform, not aloud any colour in our hair, no piercings, no tattoos, they're really strict. I just want abit more freedom.

You do realise it will be like that in most jobs...??
  • Options
    Some shops allow piercings. But I don't mind having to wear a uniform.
  • Options

Like any Primark customers care what the staff look like :lol: Its cheap clothes. So long as the staff are alive, relatively polite & try to be helpful, I don't care what they look like! (I guess the shops have to present a good image though)

About your CV, try www.prospects.ac.uk
    Technically its for uni graduates, but it has helpful hints about CVs and stuff, so will probably help you a bit.

Good luck :thumb: