Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Snowed under.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
College is really getting to me. I'm completely snowed under with coursework - doesn't help that I work all weekend (well only 8 hours but I never have time to do anything).
So I've decided to quit my job to concentrate on my coursework, but I don't know where to start. I have two A2 art projects to complete by the end of February, including a final piece, a 3000 word essay for Media, and now we're starting written coursework for Film Studies.
I'm losing sleep over it. I just want to get it out of the way but I can never find the time. By the time I've worked by notice for work it'll be the end of February - exactly when my Art is due.
I don't know how anyone can help me, but someone try?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Make a plan, a realistic and detailed one and stick to it. I know it sounds basic, but I found when I was doing my A-levels it helped to know how to use my time. Try and think about things in smaller blocks than huge projects to do. 8 hours work at the weekend isn't actually very much when you think about it, so plenty of time to do college work too. Curb your social life for the next couple of weeks and give priority to your coursework. Have you tried asking tutors at college for help with managing your workload?

What else are you doing with your time that you could cut back on (even temporarily)? I had to leave for sixth form at 7am, got back about 5:15pm, worked 16 hours a week and still managed to fit all my coursework in; it's just a question of priorities and making time.
    Well I usually stay back at lunchtimes and in free lessons and do my Art work, as that is my priority at the moment because I want to get into Art college. Apart from that, I see my boyfriend a couple of nights a week. I find it really hard to study at home - i get distracted too easily. I know if I work in college I won't be distracted.
  • FizFiz Deactivated Posts: 44 Boards Initiate
    Hi, I think Acrobat and _tink have offered some really good advice there. You might also want to have a look at this article all about time management. Also it might help to talk to your course tutors, family or friends about how you feel. They could have some good suggestions or it might just help to get things off your chest. If you continue to loose sleep here is some more information that might help.
    Take care!
    I'd suggest writing yourself out a timetable. If you're not working at home then you are going to have problems. Is there a library or work space at college that's open in the late afternoons, early evenings?

Even if you're at college in classes 9-4 with just enough time to eat at lunch, you still have 5 hours in the evening that you can use for coursework, allowing an hour for travelling and half an hour for tea, and be finished by 2230.

Write down a timetable, and work it through until 9pm or 10pm at night. A good 3 hour chunk of work most evenings and you'll fly through your coursework.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Try to make a plan and stick to it. If you find it gets no easier try speaking to your tutors and perhaps try and get a small extension to see you back on track.

Workload wont last for ever, best to put your social life etc on the backburner in the short term.