Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Being threatened in my own home

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.thesite.org/homelawandmoney/home/tenancyrights/yourrightsasatenant

That article states that a landlord/lady may not permit one tenant to threaten another. It doesn't really go into more detail than that. I'm in the unpleasant situation where one of my housemates is threatening me with violence and I would like to know what my rights are.

Has anybody got details?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Complain to the landlord and get them kicked out (threatening police and/or legal if they don't care)..?
    Hey,

Thanks for your reply :)

I've spoken to my landlady and she's not yet sure what to do, but she gave me the impression she won't get rid of him, and if I leave then I'm contractually obligated to pay rent until the end of the term which runs until June - that's money I just don't have. I'd be happy to move out, but I couldn't afford to!

I need to know if I have any rights that I can use to force her hand and get this nutjob out of here.
    Personally I would either kick fuck out of him or get someone else to do it

Failing that, seek advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau
    When I had a flatmate threaten me (and watching me sleep at night, creepy fucker) I got myself into such a tizz I rang my mum at 3am in tears. She ended up calling up my landlord and shouting at him, threatening to call the police for all the harassment and stuff. He got evicted and all was well.

I love my mum.
  • PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    Hi Mike,

For more detailed advice on your situation you may find it useful to put your question to our askTheSite service - this is answered by experts at Shelter who can give you more information about your rights and you will get your reply within three days. I really hope the situation gets better for you soon.

Pearly
    When I had a flatmate threaten me (and watching me sleep at night, creepy fucker) I got myself into such a tizz I rang my mum at 3am in tears. She ended up calling up my landlord and shouting at him, threatening to call the police for all the harassment and stuff. He got evicted and all was well.

I love my mum.

:) heehee mum's are great sometimes.