Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Penniless - Need help urgent

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Is there any way my university can give me a bit of cash to help me out with my rent?

Our bills are so high and the way it seems I won't be able to afford to pay the next rent.

I already work two jobs and don't really know if I should take on a third, as after tax I probably won't have much more cash anyway. I am also in my final year, I have difficulty keeping up with the study load with my jobs as it is.

My family situation has changed since my (ex)stepdad fucked us all over. Now my Mum is earning roughly 15,000 per year, plus paying a mortgage and supporting my brother.

She normally helps me with £50 per month, but I know she won't be able to afford it any more. Either way, my student loan is smaller this year too.

Do universities offer any financial support for financially hard up people?

Can my LEA give me a bigger loan now my financial situation has changed?

Any advice would be welcome, as I'm struggling a bit.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes, if your situation like that changes you should be able to contact your LEA and they will arrange for your loan to alter accordingly. Your uni should also have a hardship fund :)
    I'm sure most universities have some kind of hardship fund that you can use when and if your financial situation changes.

I would speak to your student support/finance centre and see what they recommend. Have you applied for grants or bursaries previously?

I wouldn't recommend getting another job. Two is more than enough especially in your final year. To be honest your best bet is to talk to some directly at the university as they would have more information to hand which is relevant to your particular circumstances. I know for instance that my university offers a £200 emergency cash scheme whereby if you find yourself with absolutely no money, you can get the money and not have to pay it back. Although I'm not sure if your university would do the same thing.
    Hardship fund, they gave me a grand one year, and one of my mates got more. They need to use it all up so put every single money trouble and bad circ on the form and cross your fingers. You can apply more than once in a year too.
    Get in touch with your tutor and the welfare/finance bit of the students union pronto.

It needn't be a long detailed email or anything, just a quick one to say you are really desperated and need some advice on where to go to for help.

Pretty much every uni has hardship funds in one form or another, and these are often accessed through tutors.

If your circumstances change then I think you can get reassessed by the LEA, although as with everything and the LEA this is not a speedy process so you'd probably need some help from the hardship fund in the meantime.

Good luck.

xx
    Namaste wrote: »
    (1) Do universities offer any financial support for financially hard up people?
    (2) Can my LEA give me a bigger loan now my financial situation has changed?
    (1) Yes, although it's usually a pain in the arse trying to find out exactly what's being offered. Last year, universities failed to pay out all the allocated money they were meant to give out in hardship loans and the like. First point of call would be the university's website, then get in touch with some of their staff during the week.

(2) There are so many specifics to consider that none of us would be able to give you a definitive answer to this. You'd have to contact the LEA to find out.
    katralla wrote: »
    Hardship fund, they gave me a grand one year, and one of my mates got more. They need to use it all up so put every single money trouble and bad circ on the form and cross your fingers. You can apply more than once in a year too.

:eek:

Wow...

A grand would be amazing... At the moment, I can't even afford to buy books for my course.
    Yeah, your best bet would be to apply to the hardship fund at your uni. My friend did and she got £1000- £1500,something like that. She had to attend a meeting and then had to provide bank statements from the last three months and explain any transactions over a certain amount but she got her cheque not long after which helped her out loads!!! good luck :)
    Contact the LEA and see if you can get your loan altered (as other people have said will take a while). Contact the uni welfare/student support office and see if they can help you, most places can provide hardship loans. I wouldnt recommend getting a third job, in your final year you need to concentrate on your studies, and only get one as a last resort.
    1andonly wrote: »
    Yeah, your best bet would be to apply to the hardship fund at your uni. My friend did and she got £1000- £1500,something like that. She had to attend a meeting and then had to provide bank statements from the last three months and explain any transactions over a certain amount but she got her cheque not long after which helped her out loads!!! good luck :)
    Crap... I'm not sure if I have from the past three months...
    if you go to your bank and explain, they should print some off for you.

I hope you manage to get something sorted out Sel :heart:
    Got internet banking?

You can print stuff off from there. Don't worry at the moment about the statements, get in touch with Welfare and your tutor and find out what you do next. What they want will vary between funds and unis so no need to faff to find something you might not need.
    Thanks people...

If I have time this week I shall go and try.

I don't know where the money goes... Apart from our gigantic bills and rent. I dunno if I can afford next month tbh... I am not a frivalrous spender, I don't go out loads

I looked on the website and it says they struggle meeting student demands.
    Email them. Not quite as good as going in in person, but saves you time by hopefully meaning you go and see the right person first time round.

Even better plan, email them as soon as you read this post!

Even if they struggle to meet student demands, that may mean you don't get enough to completely solve your problems, but you will probable still get something, and that can only help.