Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Laws on returning deposits

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My boyfriend moved out of his flat on the 19th Jan and the letting agency still havent returned his deposit. Does it have to be returned within a certain period?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ballerina wrote: »
    My boyfriend moved out of his flat on the 19th Jan and the letting agency still havent returned his deposit. Does it have to be returned within a certain period?

I don't think it does by law. I moved out of my flat on the 21st of Jan and only got a pathetic amount back from them last week. Tell him to bug them constantly.
    I *think* by law they have to return it to you (in whole, or in part) within 28 days of the contract ending. Our first landlord kept stalling and coming up with pathetic excuses about why he wouldn't return it, despite the fact we left the house in better condition than he gave it to us in! Eventually after 3 months (!!) we threatened to take him to court, and hey presto we had our whole deposit back that day!! The second house we rented we did through an agency whose boss (according to the other staff) was rubbish with money :yeees: After 5 weeks we started ringing them regularly asking where it was, and after about 8 weeks i went to the office and got it back there and then. Tell your boyfriend to wait for the 28 days and then regularly hasseling them. They wont be eager to hand it back (most of them at least!) If they keep dragging their feet, threaten them with court :thumb:
    Well it was rented in Jan 07 and they left the flat as it was before. They also still owe a months rent which they took out after they moved out. He keeps ringing them but they just keep saying it'll be sorted out that day and nothing happens.
    Well they've had a letter saying they want to take £318 out of the deposit, not sure how much it was exactly that they paid I think it was just over £500. But they gave the flat a complete clean before they left and didn't do any damage. What can they do about this?
    I've always asked for itemised receipts for the work done, demonstrating that it is competitively priced when they have docked deposits before.
    I've got a feeling it's for 'work' that doesn't actually need to be done or for stuff that wasn't due to them. It seems like alot (more than half) when the flat was cleaned and didn't have any damage. Not that they were aware of anyway. The flat was in a poor way anyway, didn't have fire alarms fitted, the locks weren't adequate and they had a slug infestation.
    Thanks, just wanted to get some pointers. It does sound a bit iffy then.