Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

work related infection!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    If you have Occy Health at your place of work go and see them if not go and see you're doctor, they can help with getting gloves and gels that don't affect your hands. You can get latex free gloves and special handwashing gels and creams that don't aggrevate it, it's just trying to get your workpla ce to provide them that can be hard :rolleyes:
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    If you have Occy Health at your place of work go and see them if not go and see you're doctor, they can help with getting gloves and gels that don't affect your hands. You can get latex free gloves and special handwashing gels and creams that don't aggrevate it, it's just trying to get your workpla ce to provide them that can be hard :rolleyes:

no im not allergic to the gloves but the fact that they irritant cleaning products are on the inside of them.
    They are huge gauntlet things which I cant buy my own pair of
  • Options
    kate- wrote: »
    no im not allergic to the gloves but the fact that they irritant cleaning products are on the inside of them.
    They are huge gauntlet things which I cant buy my own pair of

is it a full time or part time job?
    if it's a big company maybe you could ask to be changed to another position that doesn't involve using products?

I started work somewhere and had to clean with this horrible spray, my hands came up in a nasty sore rash. I asked to be moved, and they put me in another position.

Your health is more important. I don't know about any legal things though. Good luck.
  • Options
    Your company has a right to protect your health and saftey,and that includes making alteratuins if you have allergic reactions to something.

My mum is midley allergic to latex and has to have latex-free gloves for work.

Speak to Occupational health if you have one, or to your Health & Saftey manager is your line manger cant do anything to help you.
  • Options
    Your employer are obliged to do something, and fast, if the gloves are causing you a problem, even if they aren't causing anyone else a problem.

I've got a skin allergy to latex, and generally come up in a rash far quicker than anyone else does. The pool I work at uses latex gloves for general cleaning and first aid, and then gauntlet type gloves for a couple of things. I have nitrile medical gloves, and then I also wear those under the gauntlet ones because other people often get the evil stuff inside the gauntlet gloves.

Not sure how that helps, but if your work has the thin 1st aid type of disposable gloves then you could wear those underneath the gauntlets.

Big thing though, if it's causing you problems, don't do it!
  • Options
    hmm thanks for the replies.

Eurgh my hand looks like its got red wards on it :sour: :yuck:

I hope I can get moved.

I'm not using the stuff again until next saturday so I'll show someone afterwards again.

Its a supermarket btw I work in
  • Options
    Right, if it's come up that much, as opposed to being a bit red and sore then you should definitely get it checked by a doctor, and definitely not use those gloves again until you've worked out what's wrong.
  • Options
    Right, if it's come up that much, as opposed to being a bit red and sore then you should definitely get it checked by a doctor, and definitely not use those gloves again until you've worked out what's wrong.

Seen a doctor and got some ointment thats alll he did.
  • Options
    Yeah my work gives me an infection too - anal blindness. It's when I can't see my arse getting out of bed for work.
  • Options
    1983 wrote: »
    Yeah my work gives me an infection too - anal blindness. It's when I can't see my arse getting out of bed for work.
    :lol: