Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Car Insurance and Moving House

And for once, not the normal "Where is Cheapest/How much is yours" question!

I'm moving house in a couple of weeks, and want to know what the situation is with car insurance. Last time I moved, I went from an ok postcode with secure off street parking to a shit postcode with on street parking, notorious for cars getting nobbled. They said it wouldn't make any difference to my insurance until I renewed my policy and I was happy to roll with that (and it was only 2 months until it ran out anyway).

I'm moving again, but this time I'm moving from above crappy postcode situation back into a fairly decent postcode, with (joy!) off street parking again. I want to know what to do about my insurance - it isn't up until October so carrying on with it for another 6 months when it will almost certainly go down seems a bit silly, but I don't know what to do/how to go about it.

Any suggestions?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i pay my insurance monthly and when i moved house they increased it straight away on my monthly payments cos it was a worse area.

you'll have to ring them and see what they say
    See thats what I thought they would do before (I pay mine monthly too) but for some reason they decided not to take the opportunity to fleece me a bit more than they already were.

I intend to ring them, I just haven't got a landline so am trying to scope out the situation before I call up because I'll be using someone elses when I go visit the parentals.
    thats very weird and you were lucky. damn you! mine went up like £10 a month, so did Bunnies.

which insurance company you with?

i think you just got lucky to be honest!
    thats very weird and you were lucky. damn you! mine went up like £10 a month, so did Bunnies.

which insurance company you with?

i think you just got lucky to be honest!

I thought it was weird too, but it worked in my favour before so didn't question it :p Before I was with Frizzells/Liverpool Victoria/LV/Whatever they are currently calling themselves. I'm with Diamond now :yuck: but their quote was over £300 cheaper than my renewal with LV so they win!
    I know it's a different thing, but I'm with Diamond and mine went down when I got my full license a few years back, and they refunded the difference on what was left. So would have thought there was hope for the deduction.
    A good way to arm yourself up to fight your case would be to get a quote from their website for your current address, and then then new one.
  • PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    Hiya,

You're definitely doing the right thing in letting them know you are moving, it's hard to say what the premium will change by but if you move and don't notify them then if you have an accident then your insurance may not be valid.

Hope it's all oky doky though
    Pearly
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Get in touch with them.

I had to get in touch to change my address and they told me that my insurance increased slightly. Wait and see what they say about it. If it goes down a lot then it may be better staying with your current company.

You need to check your T&Cs to find out if you can cancel early, if needs be the case.