Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Leap year proposals

PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
Are you a girl who's popped the question to your other half because it's a leap year? Are you planning on doing it this year, because 2008 is in fact a leap year!

What are your thoughts on proposals - should it be left to the man?

This is research for a new Valentine's Day article so just to let you know I may be using some quotes!

Cheers
Pearly

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Are girls only allowed to propose on leap years then?

oh and if you got married on 29th feb would that mean you only had a wedding anniversary every 4 years?

You're a bit abrupt with your questions Pearly! Pad them out a bit more :p
  • Options
    oh and if you got married on 29th feb would that mean you only had a wedding anniversary every 4 years?
    That would be excellent. Fewer opportunities for women to bitch at their men because they've forgotten to buy them an anniversary present. :p
  • Options
    But on the other hand, more opportunity to forget with such a long gap inbetween anniversaries!
  • Options
    Are girls only allowed to propose on leap years then?

Well traditionally women were only allowed to do it on a leap year! Now it's just a good excuse hey girls! Not that I would be doing it though, think it would be a bit mean - will you marry me? Yes! Ok, off you go and get me a big rock please! lol
  • Options
    You're a bit abrupt with your questions Pearly! Pad them out a bit more

Ooh harsh words! People moan if I put too much on there! Nothing much more to say really at the risk of going into too much detail - just is it something you would consider, or not, or have you done it yourself - whether it be a leap year, or not?
  • Options
    Pearly wrote: »
    Ooh harsh words! People moan if I put too much on there!
    Suggestion - click next to Knee High Stripy Socks. As a mod, you should get something called the "Ban Member" option. No more harsh words. ;):p
    just is it something you would consider, or not, or have you done it yourself - whether it be a leap year, or not?
    I'm a bloke, so I'll simply say I'd be flabbergasted if a girl went down on her knees to... wait a minute, who's laughing in the back? Stop sniggering! :p Anyway, as I was saying, if she went down on her knees and asked me to marry her, I'd be absolutely amazed. I'd be surprised if I didn't shed any tears at a proposal. What a soppy git I am!
  • Options
    I'm sure that would come under the heading of "abusing your position as a moderator" and I would be protesting to the relevant authorities ;)

Don't worry Pearly I didn't mean it in a horrible way, just sometimes it comes across as a bit impersonal and "give me answers now, you hobags", maybe because you don't post as much and we don't know you well?

As for proposing, I think it's far more likely that me and him will just kind of decide to get married, rather than a BIG FAT PROPOSAL or anything, and when you've discussed pretty much every aspect of the wedding you see yourselves having then it kind of negates the need for a proposal.

I don't see why women should have to wait for a leap year to propose, seems like that's the kind of thing that's in the past, like maypoles. If a man or woman wants to propose then it shouldn't have anything to do with what type of year it is ... but maybe that's just because I've never heard of this 'tradition' before.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    I'm too much of a traditionalist to propose to my chap, IMO its one of his jobs
    One of his jobs? Get back in the kitchen and make me some dinner, woman. :p

Why's it one of "his jobs", then?
  • Options
    Ah, but did you know, by tradition, if you ask the man to marry you, and he says no, he needs to soften the blow by giving you one english pound and something made of silk.

It's win/win, girls! Deffo on my 2008 itinerary :thumb:
  • Options
    I don't want to get married so no I wouldn't (even if I had a boyfriend)

But if I had an attitude transplant and did want to get married: I don't like the idea of proposals, I'd rather discuss it together, go buy the ring together, etc.

I would hate to have others organize stuff about it, like him buying the ring, or my parents organizing the wedding (they wouldn't now, but their wedding was organized by mum's parents - which I'd hate. Have already warned them if I ever do get married, I'm organizing everything)

I sound such a control freak :blush:
    kaffrin wrote: »
    Ah, but did you know, by tradition, if you ask the man to marry you, and he says no, he needs to soften the blow by giving you one english pound and something made of silk.

What if we said no? Would we have to give him a pound (ooo, generous!) & something silky? "No, I don't want to marry you, but here's a pound & some new silk boxers to make you feel better."
  • Options
    Pringle wrote: »
    What if we said no? Would we have to give him a pound (ooo, generous!) & something silky? "No, I don't want to marry you, but here's a pound & some new silk boxers to make you feel better."

No. They get to ask girls every day of the year, but you have to save them all up for 4 years at a time.

Hey, I don't make the rules. I just want my quid.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    That would be excellent. Fewer opportunities for women to bitch at their men because they've forgotten to buy them an anniversary present. :p

Yeah and 8 years between wedding anniversary presents.

Meaning with the 7 year itch, you might never have to buy one.
  • Options
    i dnt think i would propose to my other half id be too scared to do it its like on the friends episode when monica trys to propose to chandler but she cnt stop cryin and like she says theres a reason girls dnt do it lol
  • Options
    Pearly wrote: »
    Not that I would be doing it though, think it would be a bit mean - will you marry me? Yes! Ok, off you go and get me a big rock please! lol

Absolutely brilliant :lol:
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    kaffrin wrote: »
    No. They get to ask girls every day of the year, but you have to save them all up for 4 years at a time.

Hey, I don't make the rules. I just want my quid.

Damn, I wish we waited now :(
  • Options
    i like the idea of a medieval romanticist....
    Henry VIII was a medieval romanticist. Not too romantic for the wives who had their heads chopped off as a result. :p
  • Options
    Ah well it has it's ups and downs! :D:D:D
    Just don't marry any German girls. Look what happened to the one Henry married, and you'll see why.
  • Options
    Whilst browsing valentine's cards, I saw one today which was quite cute, supposed to be from a girl asking a guy to marry her. It made me smile, as it was quite sweet and funny :)
  • Options
    Personally I wouldn't propose to a guy. I may suggest that perhaps we should think about getting married and put the idea in his head, but I do think he should be the one to propose.

Although gaining a pound and something silk, and seeing the look of shock and horror on my oh's face could be worth it for the comical value.
  • Options
    I was thinking about it asking my girlfriend this month because it's our anniversary, and so I did wonder about the 29th but decided to wait.

Obviously there's no question of gender imbalance, since we are both women, but it seemed like a nice romantic gesture. Maybe in 2012...
  • Options
    Hi all, the article is now live if you'd like a read. If you're planning on proposing to your other half then do let us know how you get on!

Taking the leap

Thanks guys and gals
  • Options
    Ha. I'd always had it in mind to do it this year. Last leap year my boyfriend said something along the lines of 'well, you've missed your chance now, you'll have to do it next time round!' and I was going to take him at his word...

However, 4 years on I'm still studying (roll on september and hopefully handing in the thesis!) and we're still living with his mum with no realistic prospect of moving out before the end of the year, so with so many unknowns in the air, the time isn't really right to be planning weddings. He'd be practical and say no.

Besides, I think he's somewhat of a traditionalist at heart in this matter and would probably be a bit miffed if I waded in there and beat him to it!

Ah well...
  • Options
    Leap Year Proposals

I think I'm going to take the leap so to speak and propose this year! I'm taking a big risk because I really have no idea what he'll say!! I'm absolutely bricking it that he'll say no!!

We'll have been together four years (In May) this year, and feel the time is right. We'll both be finishing uni this year and getting proper jobs (that might take us apart for a year) and I feel now is a really good time to ask him - it also helps give the feeling of commitment when we won't see each other (not that I don't think he's committed).

So, how would you girlys go about this momentous occassion (even if you don't agree with it)?

Fi
  • Options
    Hi, and welcome to the boards! :wave:

Good for you for deciding to take the plunge! :thumb:

Tbh, I don't think I'd ever be able to do that myself - I'd be too scared he'd say no, but then I'm an insecure girl when it comes to matters of the heart. Besides, I also think that a bloke might feel like you're taking his 'thunder' :lol:.
    But that's just me of course!

So, on to the advice part... how would I do it? I'm not really sure, blokes normally have the ring they can give you which speaks for itself - but since there is no equivalent gift for a man I guess you'll just have to word it through. But still there are so many ways to do this! Hmm... I guess I have to think this over a bit. :chin: I'll get back to you, lol.

This must be the most useless post ever. Sorry, it's late!