Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

sheffield

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
heylo :)

im travelling up to sheffield tomorrow afternoon to see some friends from the summer - and because i have only literally decided to go right now, i have not booked a hotel yet, and i have noo idea how to get there via car

does anyone here who knows sheffield know any hotels in the city centre that are easy to get to and cheap(ish) ?? the easier to find the better because ive neeever driven in sheffield before in my life :p

more importantly however, does anyone know the easiest way to get there from the south? (well to be more specific, cardiff)
like what motorways? am i right in assuming ill have to get the m5 morth and then turn east at some point? ohh i dont know. i have a map 'somewhere' but cant seem to find it at the moment. and the internet is coming up with bugger all :impissed:
thanks
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    The internet is coming up with bugger all? I don't believe that.

You can choose from google maps, the aa, or the RAC, and either would give you a route. Google suggests M42 -> M1, and that's probably the way I would go knowing nothing about the best routes.

There's not much in the way of "cheap" hotels in the centre of Sheffield, but there are a number of hotels. Novotel, holiday inn, etc.. Some might even have car parks.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Sheffield's one way system is super :rolleyes: You'll love it!

Ibis is probably the cheapest of the lot, expect £50-£60? Has a car park too.
  • Options
    :yes:

I would go M5, M42, A42, M1. The M42 can sometimes be a pain in the arse, but it's definitely the easiest way and least likely to get lost on :)

Can't be of any further help cause driving in Sheffield intimidates me. I just park at Meadowhall and get the tram in :nervous:
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote: »
    :yes:

I would go M5, M42, A42, M1. The M42 can sometimes be a pain in the arse, but it's definitely the easiest way and least likely to get lost on :)

Can't be of any further help cause driving in Sheffield intimidates me. I just park at Meadowhall and get the tram in :nervous:

Indeed. It's best to avoid driving around the centre really. But that could be tricky if you want to stay in a hotel there. I think they frown upon people using meadowhall car park for days on end.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Rail staff often park in Meadowhall for the full day/overnight but I'm not sure if they have some kind of agreement in place to do so.
  • Options
    theres a premier travel lodge next to the Meadowhall which i've stayed in when going to footy, pretty cheap and standard travel lodge fair, cant go much wrong for £40, theres another one too which is a bit further out however.