Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

School Savings Account

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Did anyone else have one of those saving money accounts at school when you were little?

I had one at primary school and I found my savings book the other day... I think the account is still open and I've got something like a fiver in there.
It's not the bank I use now.. And I'm not sure what I do to get the money and close the account.
I think they'll think I'm a bit strange walking in to the bank and showing them my savings thing from well over 10 years ago. :blush: I assume I'd need to prove that I'm the same person, but I don't know how cos it wasn't done by signature or anything cos I was only about 9 when I opened the account. :confused:

Comments

• Options
    Mine was done by signature, but then they complained cos my sig had changed. Think I ended up taking passport and birth certificate or summat to prove I was me! But if you've got money in then I'd get it out asap cos once and account has been dormant for a certain length of time they have the right to close the account and keep the money!
  • Options
    Kazbo wrote: »
    Mine was done by signature, but then they complained cos my sig had changed. Think I ended up taking passport and birth certificate or summat to prove I was me! But if you've got money in then I'd get it out asap cos once and account has been dormant for a certain length of time they have the right to close the account and keep the money!

I think its about 15 years or something silly.

If you still have the savings book, go into the current verison of the bank (Lloyds and TSB mergered quite years ago and Midland Bank is now HSBC) taking your passport/driving licence and a copy of birth certificate if you have it to hand. Go to the counter and explain the situation, they should be able to find out if the account is still open, what the balance is and then explain how to close it.